From Cambodia to America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Cambodia to America

I just want to verify that all I need to enter the U.S. is a proof of rabies vaccination (more than 30 days before entering), a veterinarian certificate, and a certificate/statement from my veterinarian that my dog has been tested and had a negative result for screwworm within 5 days before entering. For background information, I will be traveling from Cambodia, through Hong Kong, to America with Cathay Pacific. However, my dog will be shipped as manifested cargo, since there I have not been able to find another way for him to leave Cambodia (he is an 80 lb. rotweiller). Also, I do have another question since he will be entering the States as manifested cargo. According to the Transportation Security Administration, live animals that are shipped as manifested cargo must be sent by an IATA-approved agent (http://www.state.gov/m/fsi/tc/34600.htm). This does apply to me, even though he is my personal pet, and he will be on the same flight as me, correct? Thank you so very much for your help.

Re: From Cambodia to America

Leah - we were unaware of this “directive” however it is not regulated by the airlines to our knowledge. Also, we do not know how TSA or the US department of State could enforce this rule without airline enforcement. We know for a fact that pet owners bring their pets into the US as manifest cargo on a daily basis without an agent. We will call TSA on Monday and inquire.
    Susan

Comment

Were you able to find out anything from the TSA, or have you not had the opportunity to call them yet?

Comment

We are attempting to get your answer. Will post as soon as we do.

Comment

Leah - we have spoken to TSA twice about this requirement and also to US Customs and Border Control and neither of them have knowledge or understanding of the requirement. What we are thinking is that when pets travel as unaccompanied, a licensed pet transporter can handle the transport or the airline itself becomes the agent for the transport. This would make sense as all cargo and commercial airlines are IATA compliant agents. In your case, we do not see that hiring an agent is necessary unless your airline requires it. Hope this helps.
          Susan

Comment

Thank you so much for all the work you went to for this answer. I really do appreciate your help. So all I need to enter the States is a rabies vaccine (with proof), a vet-signed health certificate, and a screwworm test (tested negative within 5 days of entering the U.S.). Is that correct?

Comment

Leah - you are correct. The vet certificate should be in English or translated into English. When you drop off your pet at the cargo facility, you will complete an airway bill and the airlines will help you with that.
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X