Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know about going to US from Canada on vacation with a parrot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know about going to US from Canada on vacation with a parrot?

I've gotten lots of conflicting information about what paperwork is required and what costs are involved.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's done it.

Just wanna take my Double Yellow from Ontario, Canada to Florida (for a week) and back home.

Comments?

Thanks,
    Michael

Re: Anybody know about going to US from Canada on vacation with a parrot?

Proof of rabies vaccination and a health certificate is all you need.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Proof of rabies vaccination and a health certificate is all you need.
      Susan
      Thanks for getting back, admin, but parrots don't get rabies........and this is a CITES-listed bird, so it's a lot more complicated than getting a "healthy bird" document.

US Fish and Wild Life Service is involved, the Wild Bird Conservation Act plays a role.....there's a veterinary inspection required, with a 72 hour advance notice to the entry port.....and apparently yet ANOTHER application form required as of just this past week (Early Dec, 2014) based on some finding in a bird in British Columbia.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who's EVER legally transported a parrot from Canada to the US and back. You know......."snowbird" style. :-)

Michael

Comment

Well now, wasn't that silly that I did not read you were importing a bird! my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          Well now, wasn't that silly that I did not read you were importing a bird! my apologies.
          I must admit........you had me wondering, with that rabies comment!

I wish it were as SIMPLE as a dog with a rabies vaccination......but, for some strange reason, FWS seems to think they're gonna save all the parrot chicks from being stolen out of jungle nests if they charge law-abiding owners hundreds of dollars just for crossing the US/CAN border on vacation. Strange.

What they HAVE managed to do is make the occurrence so rare that it's difficult to find anyone who's DONE it. Makes it tough to "learn the ropes"!

And to make things worse......they're apparently too embarrassed to even publish a webpage with the instructions on it.

Comment

Working...
          X