Moving Cocker Spaniel from Mumbai, India to Indianapolis, US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Cocker Spaniel from Mumbai, India to Indianapolis, US

I have a 3 year old Cocker Spaniel I need to move from Mumbai, India to Indianapolis, USA. I am working on the immunization and health certificates and think should be able to handle that. But my concerns are more air travel related. He will be travelling as check in baggage in the same flight as me
    1. I was hoping to do a direct non stop flight - which would be around 20 plus hours. Do airlines allow it and most importantly is such a long single leg travel recommended ?

2. If I break the journey- which are the non hassel countries via which I can fly without any extra immunization or documentation. - I know UK is out of bounds as its a rabis free country- what about Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris. Or is there some other location that is least stressful from a pet relocation perspective ?

Re: Moving Cocker Spaniel from Mumbai, India to Indianapolis, US

Sneha - Twenty hours is a long time in the cargo hold and we can understand your concern. The issue is that India is considered a high-rabies country and the EU will require a titer test 30 days after microchip and rabies vaccination and 90 days prior to import. We would suggest United to Newark, then spend a day resting. The first leg will be 16 hours, but it would be better to get to the US rather than laying over where there could be problems with customs. (just a thought)
    Susan

Comment

Susan-Thanks for the information. Yes I have been trying to avoid EU and I prefer a single flight. But was told airlines don't take pets in the hold for that long. So are you saying United allows them on long flights ? I was also told Amsterdam is pretty good if we need to layover and there wont be hassles. Can you throw some light on Amsterdam and Brussles ??

Comment

The problem wtih Amsterdam or Brussels is that they are part of the EU. Since you are entering the EU from a high rabies country, you will need to do a titer test 3 months prior to entering and 30 days after the rabies vaccination. Do you have that kind of time?

Comment

Susan- I will be moving only in Feb of 2015, so might just be able to make it. But the problem is getting the titer test. As far as I know, it is not done in India and the biological sample needs to be sent outside the country which itself is a long drawn process. Are you aware of any place in India where the test can be done ?
          Else I am thinking United is the best option.

thanks for answering this one last question

Comment

Sneha - here is a list of approved laboratories: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/approval_en.htm
            Susan

Comment

Sneha - here is a list of approved laboratories: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/approval_en.htm
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X