Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Air Travel from Barcelona >> Los Angeles

Hello,

I will be traveling with my small, 2 year old American Staffordshire in 2 months from Barcelona >> Zurich >> Los Angeles. I have already bought the approved crate, passport, travel kit, etc. All of the documents are prepared, I just have some questions more about the flight.

Has anyone ever traveled with their dog on such a long flight? She is anxious already, super friendly but shy, and I am obviously worried. We have a short layover of 1,5 hours in Zurich where they will switch our luggage and bring her on the next plane. Also:

- Can I put a larger blanket in her crate along with the "puppy pads"? It calms her down so much.
    - I am flying with Air Swiss, but in general, is the staff helpful? Can we request to check in or make sure the dog is aboard.
    - Any tips before the flight? I already bought Happy Traveler Pills... hopefully they work.

Any suggestions and insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Jessie

Re: Dog Air Travel from Barcelona >> Los Angeles

Jessie - most dogs just sleep with the drone of the airplane engines. Can't stress enough how important it is to get your pet used to its crate. Putting in a "used" t-shirt is also comforting. The airlines do not like much in the crate besides your dog and pads. Cut back on feeding the night before and day of the flight. Always want to hydrate, though. Freeze the water in the water bowl and attach to door just before going to the airport.

Be a be a proactive traveler and ask for confirmation that your pet has been boarded at the gate. Tell the crew that your pet is in the hold and be sure and monitor pressure and temperature. As your pet is probably traveling with you as checked baggage, the airlines will do all it can do to keep your pet on the. Same plane with you. Have proper documents attached to the crate with your pet's name as well.

Hope this helps. Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,

Thanks so much for writing back. That is really helpful.

She is getting used to her crate, we are putting her in there everyday for longer periods of time. I did buy the happy traveler pills to see if that will help her nerves. We tested it last night and it made her extremely hyper... so I suppose we wonīt do that. Do you have any experience with natural calming remedies? In the past bach flower drops calmed her down, but I donīt want to give her anything to impair her balance etc during the flight.

Thanks again!
      Jessie

Comment

Jessie - we have not heard of that reaction to Happy Traveler from any other users and it has been on the market for many years. If you got them from us, let me know the order number and I will send you another chewable we have available. It has different ingredients for calming pets. Ideally, we just want to "take the edge off." Has worked with my pets.
        Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,

I bought the pills on another site as the shipping to Spain was a lot here. I will take a look at the chewables, hopefully it wonīt have the same reaction as the pills.

Thank you,
          Jessie

Comment

Working...
          X