Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling with a medium dog from madridto denver in march

Hi
    My dog is 13 lb so he has to travel in cargo. I am considering a direct flight from madrid to dallas and then rent a car to drive from dallas to denver but it is very expensive. Anybody knows how much would be to hire a relocation company to take the dog from madrid airport to denver airport? I am afraid to flight with him to denver because of the temperature. I've read if the temperature at destination is going to be under 7 celsius the dog won't be allowed to fly.

Re: Travelling with a medium dog from madridto denver in march

Sladlos - you are interested in a pet transporter because it will take care of your dog if it cannot fly to Denver because of the temperatures? If your schedule is flexible, the most economical option is to fly your pet as accompanied checked baggage with you. Your pet flies with an agent, it will fly as air cargo which is more expensive as well as the agent fees.
    Susan

Comment

Thanks for your quick answer. Since we are flying there anyway then we'll take him with us as checked baggage. My question is, is it common to get to the airport and have the dog rejected, or in customs at the US arrival? What is the procedure in that case, you just have to lose the money of your flight? If it is rejected in customs, what can you do then? I find all this very scary. Is it flying to Dallas in March a good option if the flight arrives at 4:45pm or is there still a chance it might be too cold to be allowed to fly? The flight is 11 and a half hours, is that too long? All the shorter flights go to very cold places like Chicago or Philadelphia, that is why I am thinking of Dallas instead.
      Thanks

Comment

Thanks for your quick answer. Since we are flying there anyway then we'll take him with us as checked baggage. My question is, is it common to get to the airport and have the dog rejected, or in customs at the US arrival? What is the procedure in that case, you just have to lose the money of your flight? If it is rejected in customs, what can you do then? I find all this very scary. Is it flying to Dallas in March a good option if the flight arrives at 4:45pm or is there still a chance it might be too cold to be allowed to fly? The flight is 11 and a half hours, is that too long? All the shorter flights go to very cold places like Chicago or Philadelphia, that is why I am thinking of Dallas instead.
        Thanks

Comment

We appreciate your concern, but the chances of rejection at customs is slim unless your pet has a visible health problem. The US considers most of Spain to be rabies-free Spain (except Ceuta and Melilla). If your pet is vaccinated for rabies, that is even better. The US will accept an EU Pet Passport, but the airlines may require a time-sensitive health certificate.

You should be able to Google past temperatures in Dallas to see what your chances are of favorable temperatures. It may be a good idea to get trip insurance in case you need to change your flight to accommodate for extreme temperatures. As for the length of the flight, many pets endure trips of that length just fine. the key is getting your pet acclimated to its crate. Do that as soon as you can and stay consistent up to travel day. Your dog needs to understand that the crate is their "safe place." This will make it easier when traveling.

Susan

Comment

Thanks so much for all the information. The flight Madrid to Dallas is with American airlines, they have restrictions of temperature so I have to hope for the best. Since we also travel with 2 kids it would be a nightmare and very costly to get refundable tickets or not be able to board. The other option I have is to fly with Iberia from Madrid to Chicago, I talked to them on the phone and they have restrictions if it is too hot but not because of the cold, so my chances of being able to catch the plane with the dog are higher than going through Dallas. Even if they allow me to fly to Chicago in March, is this dangerous since it will be very cold for sure? Have you flown to very cold places in the winter? Thanks so much for all your advice, I really appreciate it.
            I have already started using the kennel, he has been sleeping on it for the past month

Comment

At the end of the day, in our opinion, it is about the safety of your pet. If it is accustomed to cold temperatures, that is one thing. If it is not, then you may want to consider the Dallas route. Yes, it does get cold in Chicago in March. The issue is not the temperature in the air, it is the temperature on the ground and in the holding area. It is hard to comment not knowing the breed and size of your dog.
              Susan

Comment

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help. He is a 14 kg mixed Snauchzer. I think I'll go through Chicago and prepare him for the cold, leaving his hair long and preparing very well the kennel inside. I called Iberia cargo and they assured me that the cold is not a problem, once on the ground they take care of the animals before they attend to the luggage. American airlines seem to have so many restrictions (I guess for liability issues) that makes it really hard, weather is not in my control.

Comment

Working...
                X