Travelling Dalaman, Turkey to London Gatwick with two cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling Dalaman, Turkey to London Gatwick with two cats

Hi everyone I've just joined this forum and trying to get a little advice and hopefully help.

I am returning to the UK from Turkey and will be bringing my two cats with me. They both have pet passports and will get fit to fly certificates on 20 January 2015. So far I have been quoted 1,070 to fly them from Dalaman to LGW on 3 March 2015.

Ideally, I'd like to be back in the UK mid January to mid February ... if anyone has any information or help they can give I'd appreciate it. Also if there's a cheaper way.

I will also be travelling on to Weymouth in Dorset most probably the same day.

Thanks one and all

Suzan

Re: Travelling Dalaman, Turkey to London Gatwick with two cats

Suzan - you did not mention a microchip or a titer test. Both of these will be required for your cats to enter the UK. You can review the requirements here: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/UnitedKingdom.cfm. As for the cost, your cats must enter the UK on an approved airline as manifest cargo. Additionally, a licensed agent must take your pets from the plane to the Animal Reception Center where you pick them up. These both increase the cost. You may consider flying to France, taking the train to Calais and having friends pick you up and take you on Le Shuttle. Or there are pet friendly ferries from both Calais and Amsterdam which you can take. Haven't done the numbers, but it may work out better for you if you have the time.
    Susan

Comment

Susan

Both Kedi and Mow Mow have vaccinations, micro-chips, blood tests and results certificates and pet passports.

Thomas Cook are the only airline that fly direct from Dalaman to London through the winter they use Airborne Pets who have quoted me the 1,070. I'm looking into the cost of flying with Turkish Airlines = DLM - Istanbul - Brussels where Mark will meet us and drive us back to Weymouth.

Once I find out other costs I'll post my results as it may help others. I know of another girl who is trying to get her dog from Turkey to Eire and having real problems as she can't find an airline to take them to Eire.

Suzan

Comment

Suzan - great that you have met the requirements to enter the EU from Turkey. I always check. ) It is a good idea if you can split up and have one person meet you and complete the trip by car back to the UK. Have safe travels and keep in touch.

Susan

Comment

Susan

I've just called Turkish Airlines 0212 468 48 48. They were so helpful and very informative on pet travel.

Pets carried as cargo are 7Euro per 1Kg

2 cats or small dogs can travel in the cabin and are weighed are treated as excess baggage and part of your hand baggage. They travel in a container in the overhead locker or wherever there is room in the cabin. If you book your flight and want your pet to travel in the hold, call the Istanbul number they will add your animal to your booking. If you are taking your animal in the cabin with you I'd advise calling the above number and informing them and also put a note on your online booking.

As an aside, I found OmegaFlightStore.com one of the cheapest to find flights.

Hope this helps a few people out there.

I know of a guy who will charge around 100 for fuel to collect all three of us from Brussels. He thinks the ferry cost for me and two cats is @ 60. He'll drive us all back to Weymouth.

Comment

hi Guys.
            i was wondering , does turkish airline allow bringing small parrot ( its baby indian ringneck..8 month old ) i will buy it in Malta and going back to Lebanon.
            could someone help ! i really appreciate that .
            Many thanks

Comment

Penelope - Turkish Airlines will transport cats, dogs and little sized birds (goldfinch, lovebird and canary) accompanied by passengers at least 18 years old in the cabin of the aircraft providing they are traveling in a secured carrier with a waterproof bottom that will fit under the seat in front of the passenger. What we are not clear about is whether TA will permit this on flights out of Malta. You will need to contact them to find out. Also, we are not sure of export requirements from Malta for birds. Email here to inquire: vafd.mrra@gov.mt. At a minimum, your bird will need a health certificate and proof that your bird was tested for Avian and New Castle diseases, but you need to confirm. You should also contact the Embassy to find requirements for bringing your bird into Lebanon. Sorry we could not have been of more assistance.
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X