Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning back to uk from Egypt with our Yorkie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning back to uk from Egypt with our Yorkie.

Hello,
    Could someone please help. We had a Pet Passport completed in uk in 2010 for our little Yorkie. At the time the Rabies vaccination was given on 07/05/2010 and 21 days later 28/05/2010 the blood sample was taken with a reading of Titre=3.01 and a Certificate issued. On 01/06/2012 she had another Rabies Vaccination. On 30/07/2012 we flew out to Egypt. On 28/05/2013 she had another Rabies Vaccination here in Egypt (as it is recommended here yearly). We wish now to return to uk. We contacted the Pet reception center Heathrow Airport and they said if we bring our dog she will have to go into Quarantine for three months because there was not 30 days between the Rabies Vaccination and a blood test. I have spoken to our vet in uk and he said we left uk under one ruling and we are trying returning under a different rule. I have spoken to DEFRA and they just stated there has to be 30 days between Vaccination and blood test, they said she will have to now have a blood test here in Egypt and the sample returned to uk and we will have to wait three months before we can travel back. What really puzzles me is, if in 2010 the test was done after 30 days we would be ok to travel back to uk now, she had a test after 21 days in 2010 with a reading of Titre=3.01 what would the extra 9 days make as she passed anyway at 21 days?. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Returning back to uk from Egypt with our Yorkie.

It is true that you must wait 30 days after vaccination for a titer test and DEFRA is very strict about that. I know of no way to waive that requirement unfortunately. The same rule applies all over the EU when entering from a high rabies country. If done properly, the titer test does not expire (for the EU) unless the rabies vaccination expires. Technically, the vaccine is effective after 21 days, but the EU extended that time.
    Susan

Comment

Re: Returning back to uk from Egypt with our Yorkie.

Hello Susan,
      Thank you very much for your reply. I guess we are stuck here in Egypt until we obtain the results/paperwork required as no way we want her to spend time in quarantine away from us. It still confuses me that after 21 days she has Titer reading of 3.01 which is a good pass result so if the blood test was done at the 30 days and the reading was still 3.01 we could have returned to uk no problem. Jeanette.

Comment

Working...
      X