Moving to Scotland with a Betta Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Scotland with a Betta Fish

We have researched and have assurances from TSA that they will allow the fish through screening at the USA departure airport. I ~believe~ that the UK has no restrictions on the importing of a single betta fish that is personal property. (I've written for confirmation of that, but I do believe that is the policy.)

I am having quite a bit of trouble finding out which airlines will allow a betta fish (tropical fish) on a flight. Due to the nature of the fish, he can survive in unusual conditions, breathing both through his gills and air in the container through his labyrinth organ. We are hoping to book a straight-through flight of 12 hours or less and keep him in the cabin as a carry-on. If we need to take a longer flight we can open his bag/jar and let fresh air in, and then close it again.
    Has anyone any experience with moving a betta fish long distance by air? If so, can you recommend an airline?

We don't mind paying the extra fee (though it seems a bit silly for a one-inch fish). Our other option is to ship him overnight priority express via FedEx to a friend there while we are in-transit, or have a friend at the departure point ship him to us once we arrive. I'd feel a lot better carrying him in my handbag than having FedEx throw his box around.

Thanks!

Re: Moving to Scotland with a Betta Fish

Due to the pet policy of all airlines approved to transport live animals to the UK, it is unlikely you will find an airline that will permit your fish to travel in the cabin. It is the policy of the airlines to carry all live animals as air cargo. This is primarily due to the handling of animals once the aircraft lands.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Due to the pet policy of all airlines approved to transport live animals to the UK, it is unlikely you will find an airline that will permit your fish to travel in the cabin. It is the policy of the airlines to carry all live animals as air cargo. This is primarily due to the handling of animals once the aircraft lands.
      Susan
      Hi. Thank you. Is this a UK law, or just an airline policy? I can arrange to fly into another country and take a ferry or train over (as applicable), if need be, to the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Nannersone View Post
        Hi. Thank you. Is this a UK law, or just an airline policy? I can arrange to fly into another country and take a ferry or train over (as applicable), if need be, to the UK.
        For people in the USA, flying within the USA Alaska Airlines has a great pet policy, which includes tropical fish in the cabin. Still trying to find out about to the UK.....

Comment

This is not a UK law; it is a policy of the airlines. Yes, if you can find another airline that will transport your fish in the cabin to fly to another EU country, you can avoid this policy.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            This is not a UK law; it is a policy of the airlines. Yes, if you can find another airline that will transport your fish in the cabin to fly to another EU country, you can avoid this policy.
            Interesting. I did hear from the Scottish government, who were kind enough to send us a letter to use should we proceed and need clearance at customs. So, TSA is ok with the fish, Scotland is ok with the fish landing. Just need to find an airline what won't have a cow over a 2-inch fish in a peanutbutter jar.... Maybe somewhere that has a ferry to Scotland would work.

Or, I could just put the little guy in my purse, I guess.

Comment

Try P&O Irish Sea Ferries.

Comment

Working...
              X