International carriers that allow Emotional support Animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International carriers that allow Emotional support Animals

We have travelled to Europe with our dogs a few times as my boyfriend works abroad. We pretty much know all of the rules and restrictions to get them there, but this last trip home from Prague, we had a problem. My dog that is small enough to travel on the plane with us figured out how to chew out of and break the zippers of the bag she is supposed to travel in. Between Prague and Munich, she chewed out of the carrier and we rushed into the luggage shop at the airport and bought a new carrier...made our connection to Los Angeles...within the first 30-minutes we saw a guy pointing to the ground in the isle...there was our little doggie staggering up the isle (she was on a double dose of doggie downer prescribed by her vet). The flight attendants were very mad and told us that they would have to land the plane if I could not keep her in the carrier. I tried to hold it shut, but it was not working. Our dog is the sweetest dog, and would never hurt anyone, but hates being put in any kind of confined area. When the flight attendant in charge came to talk to us, she could see that we were very distressed, but they have strict rules. She said that they would block off one of the rest rooms and I could sit in there with her. So, for the next 8.5 - 9 hours I sat in the bathroom with her. Thy allowed me to return to my seat for landing and hold her between my legs on the ground. I need to travel back to Prague in March... If I have her certified as my Emotional Support Animal, can she travel without the carrier? if so, which international airlines accept the Emotional Support Animal Letters? Thank you!!

Re: International carriers that allow Emotional support Animals

Markwy - most US based airlines have ESA programs and they will need documentation in advance. If you cannot find a carrier that will contain your pet, would it not be a better idea to fly your pet in a crate in the hold? We know this is not the preferable way to travel, but it may be easier on you knowing your pet will not escape its carrier. This is how pets get hurt. Spending the flight in the bathroom is not easy on either of you and certainly will not please the crew. Just a suggestion. You will need to figure out how to confine your pet in the cabin should you decide to do that.
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X