Moving with our Labrador to Spain from Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving with our Labrador to Spain from Florida

Has anyone relocated to Spain with their pet? We are selling up and moving to Spain. I have a horrible feeling it will be in the dead of summer, so I would like to book a direct flight if at all possible. Does anyone have experience shipping their pet to this country? Am I better off paying $6000 (I was quoted that earlier today) for a company to take my Labrador door to door? We are retired and on a pension, hence the move to Spain. I don't understand how a company can charge that. Any info on shipping your pet from USA to Spain would be appreciated.

Re: Moving with our Labrador to Spain from Florida

Jaws - you don't need an agent to send your pet to Spain. As a matter of fact, it is better if it can travel with you as accompanied checked baggage because it will be eligible to travel under the Pet Travel Scheme. You will need to microchip your Lab with a 15 digit microchip, then vaccinate it for rabies (in that order, but same vet visit is fine). If your pet does not have a microchip, then the rabies vaccination must happen AFTER the chip is implanted regardless of whether your pet is due for one or not. This can be done anytime, but certainly sooner than 21 days prior to travel. You will need to have a USDA accredited veterinarian complete an Annex IV form for Spain for endorsement by your State USDA office within 10 days of travel. You will most likely need an APHIS 7001 form as well for the airlines which should also be endorsed by the USDA. We have details and links to instructions and all the forms required here if you need them: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Spain.cfm.

As for the airlines, find one that flies the entire route. Layovers should be kept to 2 hours or less. Be careful of the temperatures in the summer because that puts your pet at greater risk and many airlines will not fly pets in cargo when the temperature exceeds 85 degrees anywhere along the route.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Jaws - you don't need an agent to send your pet to Spain. As a matter of fact, it is better if it can travel with you as accompanied checked baggage because it will be eligible to travel under the Pet Travel Scheme. You will need to microchip your Lab with a 15 digit microchip, then vaccinate it for rabies (in that order, but same vet visit is fine). If your pet does not have a microchip, then the rabies vaccination must happen AFTER the chip is implanted regardless of whether your pet is due for one or not. This can be done anytime, but certainly sooner than 21 days prior to travel. You will need to have a USDA accredited veterinarian complete an Annex IV form for Spain for endorsement by your State USDA office within 10 days of travel. You will most likely need an APHIS 7001 form as well for the airlines which should also be endorsed by the USDA. We have details and links to instructions and all the forms required here if you need them: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Spain.cfm.

As for the airlines, find one that flies the entire route. Layovers should be kept to 2 hours or less. Be careful of the temperatures in the summer because that puts your pet at greater risk and many airlines will not fly pets in cargo when the temperature exceeds 85 degrees anywhere along the route.
      Susan
      Thanks so much for the info and I'll start looking into it. Our Lab had his 3-year rabies vaccine just this past January. Will that work? He also had a microchip placed as a pup by the breeder. The chip is with AvidPettrac. It is not a 15-digit number and I am checking with the company now as to whether it would still work. In the meantime, I will download the information you provided above.

Comment

Hello - the EU will honor the 3 year vaccine, however, they may or may not have a universal scanner available that will be able to read your pet's chip. You can either re-chip your pet with a 15 digit chip and re-vaccinate your pet or you can carry a scanner with you that will read your pet's current chip.
        Susan

Comment

The more I read up on airlines flying pets in the summer, the temps, type of planes, etc. it makes me wonder how some of these companies say they can ship my dog in the summer, reportedly from Atlanta to Madrid. Delta, for example, uses only 767's for that route and that's out. Temperatures could easily exceed 85F on the tarmac in Madrid......beginning to bother me how they can guarantee my dog's safety and well being. Might be time to start begging a relative to take care of our Lab until he can fly over in the autumn.

Comment

Hi Jaws - although it is more challenging, it is possible to accomplish safely. Are there any red-eye flights? Flying out late at night or very early in the morning when temperatures are lower may make sense when traveling in the summer.

Comment

Working...
            X