Travelling to Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling to Ireland

Hi, I am new here and I am hoping my questions will be answered here. We are moving back to Ireland in August of this year and we are bringing our 4 year old West Highland Mix with us, I am looking for advice as to how to get this done, I have spoken with United Airlines and they said we can put her in the cargo area, we are flying from Chicago to Ireland. We will not be on the same flight as the dog but we will be leaving on the same day and arriving on the same day does this make a difference? I would also like to know what documentation I need to get this started, her rabies vaccination runs out in August of this year so do we have to get her another dose.

Thank you for helping me with all my questions above. It is stressful enough trying to get things sorted for our family and now trying to get the dog sorted out is really stressful.

Anthony

Re: Travelling to Ireland

Hello Anthony - what country does your Terrier mix reside in currently and that you will be traveling to Ireland from?
    Susan

Comment

We are currently living in Green Bay, Wi but will be flying out from Chicago O Hare and we are flying into Dublin Ireland.

Comment

Anthony - first get your pet microchipped, then renew the rabies vaccination (AFTER the chip is implanted, but same vet visit is fine). You can enter Ireland no sooner than 21 days after the rabies vaccination. You will need an Annex IV form completed by a USDA accredited veterinarian for endorsement by your State USDA office within 10 days of travel. And your pup will need a tapeworm test between one and five days of travel. You will need to fly an approved airline into Dublin (United is fine) and your pet must travel as manifest cargo. You must travel within 5 days of your pet (before or after) in order for these rules to apply. It does not matter if you are not on the same flight, but a copy of your flight details should accompany your pet with their documentation. You will also need to sign a Declaration of Non-Commercial Transport attesting that your pet's transport is not for the purpose of resale or re-homing.
        Let us know if you have further questions.
        Susan

Comment

Hi, Thank you for all the help with this, I was told on the phone when I was talking to United that I will need a customs broker in Ireland? what is this. Do you know where I can get all the forms needed and do I need separate forms for the Airline.

Comment

You will need a customs broker to clear your pet in Ireland. This is a person trained in clearing animals and other goods into the country. (same for any entry point in the UK, although it is more complicated in London) United should be able to help you with this. If not, contact petmove@agriculture.gov.ie and inquire. We have links to forms and instructions here at a very minimal cost (we need to keep this information current and this takes time and effort) http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Ireland.cfm The package will include all the forms you will need including the APHIS 7001 form for the airline and the Annex IV form for customs officials. Both forms must be endorsed by the USDA. There is also a Declaration of Non-Commercial Transport that you must sign.
            susan

Comment

Hi I am new to this forum and read a few interesting pieces of info. We are moving to Ireland from perth and want to bring our daughters much loved cat! I have been quoted from some very costly international movers and to be honest it seems a huge expense so far it seems it's about 2700 dollars not to mention getting paperwork, vet pet passport etc. if anyone can actually give me any guidance here to try and get him home safely but without crippling the bank I would appreciate any thing at all. I have seen that quantas do a international flying pet service again not sure the full theory of this I will contact them to get a price but to be honest I actually don't use them as an airline we usually travel with Singapore airlines, any help on this would be so appreciated thanks

Comment

Working...
              X