Taking my dog from Cambodia, through Thailand and Taiwan, to America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking my dog from Cambodia, through Thailand and Taiwan, to America

I have a 36 kg rottweiler that I would like to take with me from Cambodia to America. Unfortunately, there are not many airlines that carry big dogs from Cambodia; I've only found Eva Air and Cathay Pacific so far. Not only that, I know for sure that Eva does not have planes from Cambodia that carry dogs at all, so I will have to go to Bangkok and take a flight from there (I'm not sure about Cathay, but I'm guessing it's the same thing). My main question, is about Taiwan though. I know on the baphiq.gov.tw website for Taiwan, it says that all dogs (including transit) are required to go through a 21-day quarintine. Do you know if this is really true? If I have the correct transit permit, I transfer with the same airline (Eva the whole way), and I'm only in the Taipei airport for less than 2 hours, does my do still need to be quarintined? On one of the other threads: travelling to Canada with transit in Taipei, "Tubi" mentioned that they didn't think they actually had to go through quarintine. Can you confirm that they made it through ok? Will the Eva airline office help me with these details? I don't have my plane tickets yet, because I won't be leaving until the end of September, but I want to make sure I have all of my information correct. Thank you for your help!

Re: Taking my dog from Cambodia, through Thailand and Taiwan, to America

Leah - we have heard from several travelers that they transited Taiwan on Eva with a permit successfully. You should confirm that with Eva.
    Susan

Comment

Do you know how possible it is for me to take my dog with me to Thailand to fly out from there? Is that considered transiting since I will not be just at the airport? Will he need to go through quarintine in Thailand? I know I can't fly from Cambodia because of the plane size, so I have to go to a nearby country to fly out. Do I go to the Thai embassy here (in Cambodia) to get the permits and things I'll need to go through Thailand?

Comment

Leah - there is no quarantine in Thailand if your pet is vaccinated for rabies. You will need an import permit. You can find the requirements for Thailand here: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/thailand.cfm. Susan

Comment

Sorry, but I have another question. I'm also looking at the possiblity of traveling from Thailand through London on British Airways (with the final destination of Chicago). On your page about England requirements, it says, "Arriving to England by Air: If arriving by air from outside the EU, pets must enter England as manifest cargo at Heathrow or Gatwick Airports on approved air carriers. Pets will travel as manifest cargo." What exactly is manifest cargo? Also, in your opinion, would it be easier for me to travel through England on British Airways or through Taiwan on Eva Air? I also have to keep in mind that I'm traveling with a rottweiler (I'm not sure if that's considered a "dangerous breed" in London or on British Airways). Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Leah - did you try Bangkok Airlines into BKK from Cambodia? They carry animals and we understand that their holds are larger than many.

There are 2 ways that larger pets can fly: accompanied checked baggage and manifest cargo. The former is when their owner accompanies them and the latter is when they are very large or flying unaccompanied. The latter is more expensive because the airline is responsible for the care of the pet during layovers and the shipment is tracked.

British Airways only offers manifest cargo on their flights and the booking must be made by an approved agent. There are a lot of flights from BKK to JFK (not sure where you are going in the US). Look at Norwegian Air through Copenhagen (short layover), Korean Air through Seoul (need to confirm they will hold your pet during 4 hour layover), Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong (you will need a transit permit) or Eva Air through Taiwan (confirm with them that they will transit your pet with a permit). We have heard that Eva Air is great with their communications, so you may want to start there.

Comment

Great! That helps a lot! So, what kinds of planes can I not fly on because their holds are too small? When I was talking to Asiana about taking me dog, they told me a number or 2, but I can't remember what they are. I tried looking it up, but I can't seem to find that information. I think it might have been some kind of airbus?

Comment

Working...
              X