Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

from Nicaragua to Austria: new EU regulations, transport bags, airlines..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from Nicaragua to Austria: new EU regulations, transport bags, airlines..

Hello,

I currently live in Nicaragua and have raised a little cat, he was not even 1 month old when his mother was poisoned and he came to us in a very bad condition. Now he is 8 months old.

Now he is doing very well, but really wants to be close to me all the time (following me, sleeping in my bed). He is also a bit anxious but also wild.
    We moved a week ago to a new house, but he has adapted very quickly also to the dog the family has where we are living at.

I really prefer not to leave him here when I leave Nicaragua in about a year or so, 1. because he is so focused on me and I dont want to let him down and seccondly, because they treat animals still differently here despite they are very nice to him.

but taking him with me is not so easy .... I think I know what I need to prepare before leaving (chip, rabies vaccination and antibody test, health certificate, etc.) - I think I can organize all of that, what makes me more worried are the airlines ... I have at least 2 connecting flights with at least 2 different airlines that have always different requirements ... I would prefer travel with him in the cabin although the transport bag must be smaller than in the cargo hold ...

that would be my first question:

most airlines have the dimensions 55x40x20cm for the transport bag but what is discussed differently is whether the the 20 cm are the height or the depths ... because 20cm height is very low (the cat must be able to stand naturally ...)

Anyone knows about that? I tried to call Condor, but I dont reach aynone ... especially I am interested in American Airlines, Lufthansa, Airberlin and Condor...

My first flight is usually provided with Copa Airlines or Taca or Amercian.
    Now I have also read the following from Copa:

"Traveling with pets is not permitted on flights did connect with another airline."

what does that mean exactly ?? I can only travel with the same airline to my final destination? but thats simply not possible ...

and since 2015, there is also new a new EU entry guideline that says:

Special entry points for travelers from third countries:
    Completely new is the obligation that the entry of dogs, cats or ferrets from third countries for which an antibody titre is prescribed entry is only possible on certain points where comp****t authorities should carry out checks. These points of entry shall be listed by the Member States and to kept up to date.

I dont find anymore information on where those entry points are...

I do not know why they always need to make everything so complicated ...

I am really desperate... dont know what I should do ..
    has anyone experience ???

Thanks in advance,
    Marie

Re: from Nicaragua to Austria: new EU regulations, transport bags, airlines..

Hi Marie - for what we found, the route between Managua and Vienna (weren't sure what cities you were traveling from and to) is served by Air Berlin in its entirety. This is a good thing because, when you change airlines, it will most likely cause you to have to clear customs and enter the country to get to the next airline. If your kitty is traveling in the hold, the airlines will not transfer your kitty to another airline and so that is why staying on the same airline is a good thing. However, their route is not the best one and it has long layovers in Miami and Dusseldorf. You may want to contact Delta and KLM. They share routes between these cities. You need to ask them whether your kitty can travel in the cabin and also whether you will have to clear customs to change planes between the two carriers.

As your final destination is in the EU, their requirements for pet import are the same with the exception of the Annex IV form (health certificate). The form you use depends on the country that you first enter. Once you have entered the EU, you can use the form for 4 months for any country within the EU. So, if you change airlines, do so in the EU and leave yourself time to clear customs if it is necessary to do so.

Don't worry about the Border Inspection Points. If you are traveling with your pet, most of the international airports are BIPs. To conform to requirements to enter the EU, your kitty must first be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies - in that order but same vet visit is fine. Then you will wait for 30 days, not including the day of the vet visit to have the vaccination done. Then your vet will do a Blood Titer Test. Assuming acceptable results, your kitty can enter the EU 3 calendar months after the date the blood was drawn for the titer test. You will need an Annex IV form for the first country you enter in the EU. That is why you need to speak to the airlines about their routes. You can find more details here and links to instructions and forms to enter Austria if you need them: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Austria.cfm. If you need to clear customs in another EU country, then go here to find details for that country: http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm.

As for the carrier, you should get something soft sided if your pet is traveling with you in the cabin. This will allow you to "squish" down the carrier so it will fit under the seat during takeoff and landing.

Let us know if you have further questions.
    Susan

Comment

Dear Susan,

thank you so much for your answer.

Unfortunately it is not possible that Air Berlin operates all the flights from Managua to Vienna. I called them today as well as Lufthansa.
      It seems that I need to fly first with United Airlines (or Copa Airlines) to the US, go through all the customs and then check in everything once again...
      I will need to see the requirements from United Airlines, I hope they also accept pets in Cabin.

KLM operates every flight from Managua to Vienna but the dimensions of the bag in cabin are 46 x 28 x 20 which is too small I guess...
      Air Canada seems to be a good choice with 55x40x27 (but I dont find any bag like this..!!)
      Delta Airlines needs to be called beause they have different requirements for every flight..

Do you have experience people having an adult cat in the cabin? I really wonder how they do that because the dimensions of the bags mostly are 55x40x20.

First of all I don't find any bag with that dimensions and secondly the airlines always give me different information on which of those numbers is the height...a friend of mine called Lufthansa today and they told her the bag can be 55cm high. When I called they told me 23cm is the height.
      When it is so low I am asking myself how people travel with cats in the airplanes because the requirement is that they can stand naturally and not touching the top. How is that possible with 20cm...

Please let me know if you can help me on that..

thanks once again
      Stefanie

Comment

Stephanie - the requirement that your cat stand up and turn around is when the carrier is on the counter. Delta is quoting you the height under the seat in front of you. If your kitty is traveling in a soft sided carrier, you can "squish" it down to get it under the seat. Most all pet travelers travel with soft sided carriers for this reason. Many people travel with a cat in the cabin, but you need to get your cat accustomed to its carrier far in advance of flying so there will not be behavior problems.

Most likely, United will not permit your pet to travel in the cabin on this route. Make sure that they will not require that an agent handle the transport as they require that for many South and Central America flights. The US will need to see proof of rabies vaccination at least 30 days prior to entry and a health certificate. Do not plan to stay in the US because you need to get to Austria within the 10 day window of the Annex IV form. hope this helps.
        Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan!
          I found the link where I was reading about it...

"Animals may only be transported in containers that comply with IATA Live Animals Regulations. The animal must be able to stand upright without its head or ears touching the top of the container. " http://www.condor.com/us/flight-info/baggage/transporting-animals.jsp

well as i read it once again now I found out this only refers to the containers in the hold...

So I guess everything is just fine and those worries that I've had now for months are gone
          I found this bag that I will buy:
          http://sleepypod.com/shop/sleepypod-pet-beds-and-carriers/air.html

Regarding the other requirements:
          - my cat is chipped already
          - the same day as the chip he got his first rabies vaccine and another one 2 months later
          - I will do anti body test in the next months... I hope there is no problem that I do it later than those 30 days...?
          - when I have the test and only fly more than 3 month later its not a problem either, right? I just have to make sure that he get another rabies vaccine in the time requires...
          - and before I will leave Nicaragua I will let the vet fill out all the other forms that are needed (that Annex IV form for Austria and in case I need to check out and in once again in the US I will do those ones also)

I might be able to fly by air canada or klm that operate flights from Managua over Miami (or Atlanta..) to Germany and then Austria and will try to avoid United. So a new check in might not be required. But do I need the papers for the US (health certificate..) anyway as they always do a lot of checkings?

As my final destination is Austria and this is where I will enter the European Union I need the Annex IV only for Austria, right? (Germany no)

Thank you once again for your help, I really appreciate it!!!
          I dont know what I would do without you...
          Stefanie

Comment

Stefanie - you will need the Annex IV form for the first country you enter in the EU. If you are changing airlines in Germany, and thus entering the country, you will need the Germany Annex IV form.
            We also have carriers in our store: http://www.pettravelstore.com.

Susan

Comment

Dear Susan,

but in Germany I will be only in transit, I will not really enter...or doesn't that count with the cat and I have to enter there?

do I also need the special health certificate for the US?

THANKS

Comment

If you are flying in and out of Germany on the same airline, you will transit and no documentation will be required. As for the US, you will need a health certificate issued by your vet in English.
                Susan

Comment

thank you so much Susan,

I think everything understood so far!!

JUST ONE LITTLE QUESTION:

they say after the rabies vaccine to wait 30 days to make the antibody test...that means from 30day on right? It doesnt matter if I do it some months later...??

Will prepare the first steps...

Have a wonderful evening.

Stefanie

Comment

That is correct, Stefanie. A minimum of 30 days. But you want to optimize your pet's chances of a good titer test results. The level of antibodies drop as you get nearer to the expiration of the vaccine.
                    Susan

Comment

Working...
                    X