Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By car from Turkey to Spain

Please can anyone advise:

I am travelling to Spain by car next year with six cats and two dogs. I am looking for the definitive guide as to what I have to do. My animals have been rabies inoculated and they are going for their blood test this week. I think I understand all the paperwork they need too be able to exit Turkey but I am worried about all the countries we have to pass through to get to Spain. I believe it is particularly difficult to get into Bulgaria from Turkey (even with all the correct paperwork).

Here is my understanding of what I need. Animals are:

micro chipped, mix inoculation nd vaccinated against rabies
    blood test no sooner or greater than three months prior to departure
    certificate of health from vet and state vet (in Turkish and Spanish)

My questions are:

Does anyone have experience of such a trip?
    Do I have to have a certificate of health for all the countries I am passing through in their language or are the animals considered 'in transit?'
    Do I have to warn the border inspection points of our arrival?

Any help or advice very much appreciated. I would really love to talk to someone who has done this kind of trip or does anyone know where I can get official answers.

Many thanks

Re: By car from Turkey to Spain

Buffy - you will need to get an Annex IV form for the first country you will enter in the EU. The form is good for moving about the EU for 4 months. (note that there is an additional tapeworm requirement for dogs when entering Finland, Norwar or the UK.) The only issue that is concerning is that only 5 pets are allowed to enter the EU with their owner under the Pet Travel Scheme and you mentioned that you have 6 pets. With that number, it will be considered a commercial movement and, as the rules state currently, pets from high-rabies country cannot enter the EU under commercial terms. The rules change as of December 29 and a lot of particulars have not been addressed. Keep on doing that you are doing and check back with us in mid January to see if the regs have changed.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Buffy - you will need to get an Annex IV form for the first country you will enter in the EU. The form is good for moving about the EU for 4 months. (note that there is an additional tapeworm requirement for dogs when entering Finland, Norwar or the UK.) The only issue that is concerning is that only 5 pets are allowed to enter the EU with their owner under the Pet Travel Scheme and you mentioned that you have 6 pets. With that number, it will be considered a commercial movement and, as the rules state currently, pets from high-rabies country cannot enter the EU under commercial terms. The rules change as of December 29 and a lot of particulars have not been addressed. Keep on doing that you are doing and check back with us in mid January to see if the regs have changed.
      Susan
      Thanks for your reply Susan, I am actually taking six cats and two dogs. My friend is going to go with me. So that we have four animals each. But does the paperwork have to be in his name? I am getting the blood tests done on Friday. So I need to know. best rgds

Comment

Either your friend will need to be the owner or they will need to be a legal representative of yours traveling with the pets on your behalf. what may be concerning is that you are traveling together and officials will be on the lookout for people trying to bypass the commercial process and the import fees involved. In the abundance of caution, it may be prudent to split ownership.

Comment

Yes indeed. I am going to do that. Thanks again. Once the rules have changed this year, I can get further clarification. It was all getting to me for a minute there! I am a responsible animal lover but I need to get my pets to Spain with me. I could never leave them behind.

Comment

Merry Christmas Susan!

Comment

This change is pretty drastic and it appears the UK is approaching it pretty seriously, but the rest of the EU has not made any public declarations as far as we know. It will take some time to work out the details and it is impossible to predict enforcement at this point. Better safe than sorry.

best to you and your family during the holiday season. Be merry...

Comment

Now that the new rules have been issued, there is one thing that I need to know. Is it five animals per vehicle or five animals per person? ie if there are two people in my car, can I have eight animals to travel to Spain. Thanks

Comment

You, as the owner, can reflect the information of up to and including 5 animals on your Annex IV form. Your friend can do the same on their Annex IV form. We are not aware of any requirements for the number of pets per vehicle that can enter an EU country. However, these regulations were created to stem the illegal puppy trade from Eastern Europe to the UK which has been operating on the ground. In these early days, it is difficult to predict enforcement. Be prepared for questions about transfer of ownership. Carrying ownership documentation would be helpful.
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X