Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving a stray cat need help on info with traveling. Urgent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving a stray cat need help on info with traveling. Urgent.

Hey everyone, I'm new here to the forums and there's probably a lot of the same topics i'm about to ask but I don't have a lot of time and after some research im not getting a clear answer so i come to you guys who have done this numerous times.

My situation: I'm in a long distance relationship and my girlfriend in Canada found the sweetest stray cat and I wanted to give it a home and take care of it but I have to bring it back to the states.

First problem: I travel about 2-3 times a year to visit her and i would feel terrible to leave the cat home when im not there. My family could take care of him but I much rather bring him with me. I want to bring him in cabin with me of course. I'm wondering what airlines/types of boeings 747 and etc should i travel with? My previous flight companies are usually united or air canada but im willing to take which ever flight that is best for pet travel. I want to keep the fees free or low as possible if anyone can give me suggestions on that. I have my plane ticket already book this winter with Delta. Im fine with paying what ever fees i need to bring him back the first time but every time after i would like not to.

Help me clear some things up from what i read: I read somewhere that they charge around 125$ the way to my destination and another 125 on the way back and possibly have to pay again if theres a connecting flight? On my previous flights ive always flew from Portland, to either Denver or Illinois and then into canada. Also another thing i read is that i need to have a vacination or rabies? document within the 10 days of travel? Does that mean atleast 10days before my trip i have to get a shot or do i need to ask my vet for a document within those ten days.

TLDR: Basically i need the best way/lowest cost of pet travel. Suggested airlines and best way to do things. What documentations and things do i need. Thank you.

Re: Saving a stray cat need help on info with traveling. Urgent.

Mister - it is not inexpensive to travel with a pet; oftentimes their passage will be as much as yours is. It is also true that some airlines will charge extra after a layover even if you are staying on the same airline. You will not find a commercial airline that will fly your cat for free. The least expensive is Southwest which upped its fees last year to $95.

As for import requirements, as long as your cat is over 3 months of age, it must be vaccinated for rabies to enter Canada. The health certificate may be required by the airlines and it is also a good thing to travel with, however it is not required for either country.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Mister - it is not inexpensive to travel with a pet; oftentimes their passage will be as much as yours is. It is also true that some airlines will charge extra after a layover even if you are staying on the same airline. You will not find a commercial airline that will fly your cat for free. The least expensive is Southwest which upped its fees last year to $95.

As for import requirements, as long as your cat is over 3 months of age, it must be vaccinated for rabies to enter Canada. The health certificate may be required by the airlines and it is also a good thing to travel with, however it is not required for either country.
      Susan
      Thank you for the info. If im getting the cat in canada would i have to get all the shots and everything there to be able to bring him back in to the states? So its always a charge even though its like a personal bag/ carryon?

Comment

Neither the CDC (Center for Disease Control) nor the USDA require that cats be vaccinated when entering the US. However, if you are going to license your cat in the states, then, most likely, your state will require it. Seeing as though Canada requires it, would be easier to get it done prior to traveling with your primary vet.

The airlines will charge any carry on containing an animal as excessive baggage. No airline carries a pet for free. Prices start at $95 and usually hover around $125.

Comment

Neither the CDC (Center for Disease Control) nor the USDA require that cats be vaccinated when entering the US. However, if you are going to license your cat in the states, then, most likely, your state will require it. Seeing as though Canada requires it, would be easier to get it done prior to traveling with your primary vet.

The airlines will charge any carry on containing an animal as excessive baggage. No airline carries a pet for free. Prices start at $95 and usually hover around $125.
          The cat doesnt need to be spayed does it? I plan on doing it but i rather do it back in my city instead of their

Comment

No neutering is required.

Comment

No neutering is required.
              Anything to help make my trip easier? I have a soft carrier for a cat that i can use but i guess some problems can arrise with a new cat traveling. What if it starts meowing non stop, scared, pees in his crate, how can i feed him through the trip and possibly use the bathroom? I guess how can i solve some bad scenarios that can happen. My trip is 6 hrs broken up with one stop and im thinking hopefully i can let him pee and give him some food.

Would catnip possibly be a bad idea to calm him? Can i even bring dry dog food or anything on my carry on.

Comment

It is too bad that you have not had time to acclimate your kitty to its carrier. You can ask your vet about a very mild sedative, and try it at home first. Get a pad or two like this for your carrier. http://www.pettravelstore.com/breathable-carrier-crate-pads/ Your cat will not normally eliminate in the carrier and you should limit any food intake within 5 hours of travel. You can take the carrier to the bathroom on the plane, but your cat will need to be in its carrier for the entire flight when in the cabin. Little dry nibbles of food may help, but food does not appeal to many cats when traveling.

Comment

It is too bad that you have not had time to acclimate your kitty to its carrier. You can ask your vet about a very mild sedative, and try it at home first. Get a pad or two like this for your carrier. http://www.pettravelstore.com/breathable-carrier-crate-pads/ Your cat will not normally eliminate in the carrier and you should limit any food intake within 5 hours of travel. You can take the carrier to the bathroom on the plane, but your cat will need to be in its carrier for the entire flight when in the cabin. Little dry nibbles of food may help, but food does not appeal to many cats when traveling.
                  Thanks for the tips. Yeah i haven't physically done anything yet. My girlfriend has set up everything for the kitten, I'm just trying to prepare my self before the problem comes up. Sadly since yesterday we havent been able to find the kitten. It got really cold recently and im hoping hes just been staying in his shelter or someone else found him first

Comment

Good news is my girlfriend was able to find the cat. She took her to the vet and was perfectly heavy. Shes about 9, 10 mnths and weights about 6pounds! We have a full check for respiratory infections and i guess she use to have fleas. They found some flea poop but no fleas. Vet gave her a 1month thing in case of any eggs and stuff.

Anyone have suggestions on good carriers? I can deal with a soft or hard carrier as long as it has a top load of some sort. I see most airlines need something about 18x11x11

Comment

Good news is my girlfriend was able to find the cat. She took her to the vet and was perfectly heavy. Shes about 9, 10 mnths and weights about 6pounds! We have a full check for respiratory infections and i guess she use to have fleas. They found some flea poop but no fleas. Vet gave her a 1month thing in case of any eggs and stuff.

Anyone have suggestions on good carriers? I can deal with a soft or hard carrier as long as it has a top load of some sort. I see most airlines need something about 18x11x11

Comment

Great news! Any one of the carriers on the page will be good for your kitty: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Carriers-%26-Accessories/Pet-Carriers/

Comment

Great news! Any one of the carriers on the page will be good for your kitty: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Carriers-%26-Accessories/Pet-Carriers/
                          Update: The kitty had fleas but we took care of it all. Shes now happy with my girlfriend and settle in very quick. First day she was a bit more shy and hid under the bed for about half the day then we had to move her into the bathroom to quarantine her (fleas). She stayed in the bathroom for about a day or two. She mostly sat in her basket and meowed when my girlfriend left. I think she likes a lot of attention. Now that she has the flea problem under control Oreo (we named her Oreo cause shes black and white) is free to roam the room. She seems to be past her adjustment stage and does normal cat things and loves to snuggles on my girlfriends lap and lay in her basket. Of course like all cats she goes nuts for a paper ball and those string toys. Everything is going good, the cat seems very calm and chill. She likes to go up to the window and meow to the outside world. Hopefully shes not wanting to go back outside but we just ignore or play with her to distract her.

Comment

Working...
                          X