Travelling with my puppies to Canada from Uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling with my puppies to Canada from Uk

I am travelling with air Canada 10 dec. I will have 2 retriever puppies travelling with me and they will be staying there with my sister permanently. I have to date inoculated, microchipped and will be getting their rabies done 3rd December. Pet passports will be issued and Final health check will be completed 2 days before departure. On date of travel the puppies will be exactly 3 calendar months old. Some www sites say you have to wait 3weeks after rabies before flying some say not. DEFRA says there is no waiting period. Have I got everything right and in order for the puppies to travel.

Re: Travelling with my puppies to Canada from Uk

Carolyne - with your reference to DEFRA, I would assume that you are entering the UK with your puppies. With your reference to Air Canada, I would assume you are traveling from Canada. DEFRA specifically requires that to avoid quatantine, puppies must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order), then wait 21 days prior to entry (not counting the day of vaccination) when entering the UK from a rabies-controlled county (like Canada). Additionally, legislation will be effective on December 29, 2014 that requires that puppies cannot be vaccinated until they reach 12 weeks of age. Although this legislation is not yet in effect, enforcement is encouraged. The US has already enacted similiar legislation about the timing of rabies vaccinations and puppies. Not sure if Canada has done so.
    Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,
      I am actually travelling from the UK in to Canada. I have spoken to DEFRA, Canadian embassy, AVHLA and my own vet all come up with different answers. The puppies will actually be 13 weeks old 3 Callander months on their date of travel. If they were less than 12 weeks all I needed was a vet health check or DEFRA export doc, but as air Canada won't allow pets to travel unless they are 3 months old the requirements changed. I was told they have to have all normal vacs, microchip, rabies and pet passport. The only grey area was the time from rabies injection to date of travel. Some sites say 3 weeks post rabies before travel but DEFRA and some other sites say no wait. So I'm hoping that the no wait is the one as the rabies will only be given to them both

Comment

Sorry a week and a half before date of travel...

Comment

Carolyne - Canada does not require any wait time after the rabies vaccination. (the only country that does not.) However, the puppies need to travel before December 29, 2014 because, after that date, DEFRA will require that they satisfy import requirements before leaving the country. So, there will be a 21 day wait if that is the case. (part of the new legislation)

Sorry for the confusion.
          Susan

Comment

Hi Susan thank you so much you have just completely erased any worries I had about the time lines. We are flying out on the 10th December 2014. Thank you very much for your advice
            Regards Carolyne

Comment

Working...
            X