Pet traveling from USA to Costa Rica as checked baggage in American arlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet traveling from USA to Costa Rica as checked baggage in American arlines

I have received so many confusing and mixed guidelines between the cargo companies, the airlines etc. So can anyone out there tell me what to do? I have been told that for a pet to travel any other way than in the cabin (my pet is too tall to travel in cabin) a series of permits to include importation and quarantine among others was imperative and the lack of these documents would almost certainly bring about the animal suffering euthanasia in Costa Rica. I hope someone tht has traveled with a pet (small 9 pounds dog) to Csta Rica as CHECKED BAGGAGE tell me what they had o do. Thanks in advance

Re: Pet traveling from USA to Costa Rica as checked baggage in American arlines

Every pet traveling internationally needs to have proof of rabies vaccination and a health/veterinary certificate. As you are accompanying your pet to Costa Rica, it does not need an import permit. You can find details and links to instructions and all forms required for taking a pet to Costa Rica here: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/CostaRica.cfm. Several airlines that fly to Costa Rica require that an agent handle the transport, but the country does not require that. If you are traveling from the US, then your state USDA office must endorse the certificates.
    Susan

Comment

Thanks a million!!!

Comment

Thanks a million!!! Anybody out there that has actually done this? I would love to hear from you/ see your response. Would bring the anxiety level down quite a bit. Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
        X