Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to Canada with transit in Taipei

Hi all,

I'm bringing my dog from Hanoi to Canada, transiting in Taipei where we need to change planes. I'm worried if the pet regulations in Taiwan
    still applies, if it's true then the dog must be quarantined. I only has 4 hours of transit, and I don't want to leave the dog back in Vietnam.
    Please help !!!

Re: Traveling to Canada with transit in Taipei

Are you staying on the same airline in and out of Taiwan? Is your pet traveling in the cabin or as checked baggage (in the hold) or manifest cargo (in the hold)?

Comment

Hi admin,

The airline told me that the dog will travel as checked baggage, probably not in the manifest cargo, since the dog is less than 15kg.
      I think I will stay on the same airline in and out of Taiwan, it's written in my booking as CI 9024, and CI 0032 so I suppose it's both
      China airlines. However, at the moment when I was buying the ticket it said that the first flight is operated by Vietnam airlines. That
      really confuses me. I will call them to check tomorrow. Could you please tell me does changing airline affects whether the dog will
      be checked by Taiwan authorities?

Comment

The length of time of your transit is concerning as well as the change of airlines. When you speak to Vietnam Airlines (or China Airlines) you will need to discuss with them whether they will hold your pet during the layover. The issue with changing airlines is that, unless there is an agreement in place (between code sharing partner airlines), the airlines will not transfer your pet. This means you must claim your pet and recheck them and this will most likely cause you to clear customs and be subject to the regulations of Taiwan (which are stringent.) Are your tickets paid for?

Comment

I talked with China airlines. They confirmed that the dog is going to be transferred from plane to plane, and no custom clearance required, no quarantine. However, I still need to apply for animal transit permit in Taipei (http://www.baphiq.gov.tw/messageview.php?typeid=1557&typeid2=&news_id=2408) . Once the permit approved, I need to bring it to the airline, along with the animal health certificate. I suppose the airline company will take care of the animal transit matter.

What confuses me is that contrary to what the airline said, baphiq.gov.tw website states that "all animals which transit by international airport in Taiwan shall be enforced transit animal quarantine from BAPHIQ". I'm writing a letter to BAPHIQ to explain my case and confirm what the airline said. In previous exchanges with them, it seems that they have difficulties in English, so I'm not counting much on their confirmation. The only thing I can do now is trusting the airline and hoping everything will turn out alright.

Comment

We are aware of that statement and the airport in Narita does likewise. They claim it is for the welfare of the pet if the preceeding leg is excessive in length.

If the transit permit is approved, then it is difficult to imagine that they will detain your pet. That said, inconsistencies are common in Asian countries. let us know if you get a response.
            Susan

Comment

After some researches on the Internet, I found out that there're people who applied the transit permit in Taipei and their dogs didn't get quarantined:
              "If you use EVA air which I think is the easiest airlines to carry your dogs to Indonesia, you must apply for a Taipei TRANSIT PERMIT. It is a MUST
              paperwork, otherwise, your dog won't be allowed to board the plane in the USA"
              From http://save-earth.co/2010/11/30/how-to-bring-your-dog-to-jakarta-indonesia

"We are flying EVA airlines tonight. We were delayed because we didn't know we needed a permit for transit for our pet to change planes in Taipei. There is no fee, just the government giving permission for your pet to be moved from one plane to another. EVA provided the request form. They helped me fill it out and fax it and email it and rebooked my flight. I received a letter from the Taipei government in the middle of the night advising I would receive my permit within 3-5 business days. I replied that my flight left in 26 hours and could they possibly get it to me by then. I had the permit in my email Inbox at 5am this morning."
              From http://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/asia/vietnam/1899-how-to-import-your-dog-or-cat-into-vietnam.html

These information are very helpful. If they act consistently, then transiting in Taipei wouldn't be nightmare like people often told me.
              The transit permit seems quite easy to get, I applied for it yesterday and it will arrive in 3 days.

Comment

Thanks very much for the update. Certainly clearer for others transiting Taipei. It is hard to get good information...

Comment

Can someone confirm that Tubi got through Taipei safely with their dog? Was the dog quarintined? What paperwork, etc. did you have? I'm looking at taking my dog with me back to the States through Taipei with Eva Air as well. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X