Parrot Pet Birds travel from South AFrica to US Miami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parrot Pet Birds travel from South AFrica to US Miami

Hi- I have the USDA permits,CITES and all the rest needed to travel with my parrots from Cape Town to US. I have a few concerns about traveling in June. I am flying CPT - Johannesburg- London- Miami or the shortest/quickest possible way. Only ports of entry is JFK, Miami and LA. I prefer Miami with the world class on airport quarantine station. NY Quarantine is 2 hour drive from JFK.(more stress) An overnight flight from Cape Town to Heathrow is okay. Departing Heathrow at 11am and arrive in Miami at 3pm leaves me with a risk that the airline can refuse to take the birds as cargo due to high temperatures. I thought that there would be an airline to cater for our children on flights during summer months. I do know that they have special temp controlls in animal cargo areas. I would appreciate any info you have.

Re: Parrot Pet Birds travel from South AFrica to US Miami

Hi Sandra - neither British Airways or American have programs to deal with the summer heat, so your concern is justified if one of those airlines is under your consideration. BA will require an agent to book the transport and there is a 3 hour layover in LHR which you should address with the airline. Suggest you ask a pet transport agent that serves LHR to see if it is possible to hold your pets there for a later flight to MIA and whether there will be problems with birds transiting from SA. Try enq@jcslivestock.com.
    Hope this helps. Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan

Hope they can help me. I can get a direct flight from SA to JFK landing at 6:30am but fetching them from Texas by car is a very long drive. I am really hoping to get them to Miami.

I am desperate to get them to our destination with as little stress and the shortest flight

Comment

LHR can be complicated to transit. Let me know what they say.

Comment

Re enquiry to BA with regards to layover. Heathrow Animal Travel Reception. They still do not approach the problem of high temperatures arriving in Miami 2:15pm in June.
          Thank you for your enquiry.

4 hours should be enough as long as there isn’t any delays with the inbound flight, British Airways will bring your birds over to us we will clean them out offer fresh food and water to them, British Airways will recollect from us and deliver to the flight, I must say there stop off time will be only 2 hours as it usually takes an hour to bring pets over from aircraft and they always collect 1 hour before the departure.

Kind Regards

Heathrow Animal Reception Centre

Comment

When is the later flight to MIA? The ARC may not hold them for that long. That would be the next question.

Comment

The later flights arriving in Miami would be after 9pm. Temp could still be 85. Too much of a gamble for me. The overtime I would have to pay to the broker,Vet and Custom Clearance is huge. I am not sure how many people would be involved but the price $156 per hour per person is just not acceptable. I am already paying $5000 for the transport and quarantine. Seems I will have to go the LHR JFK route.

Comment

Sandra - unless there are rain clouds in the sky, it will still be warm at 9PM, but I understand your concern. We are based near Miami and I have lived here for 30 years. Normally, summer rains come about 5 PM and it cools off, but there are no guarantees. How far in advance do you have to book?

Comment

Hi All. Booked myself and the birds on South African Airlines Johannesburg to JFK direct overnight. Arriving 06:30am. The plan is to fly from Texas to JFK quarantine station after the 30 days are up and want to travel in cabin from JFK to Texas. Does anyone know of any restrictions and the best carrier/airline for the birds in cabin.

Comment

Delta has the most flights. United would also be a choice. They allow "household birds" in the cabin on domestic flights. Not sure how many birds you have or their size.

Comment

Working...
                    X