Help with bringing a pup from the UK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with bringing a pup from the UK!

I am bringing a 12 week old pup from the UK to the USA. At the time of travel the pup will be 12 weeks old. I have made a reservation to bring the pup in cabin on Lufthansa. I will have to change planes in Frankfurt. I was just informed that the rabies shot needs to be at least 21 days prior but he will be too young to have the rabies shot 21 days prior. I know to get into the USA I need to have a form from the CDC stating that I will keep the pup in quarantine on my property for the first 30 days, which I have. I'm just not sure how this will apply to Germany if I'm only connecting there.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Annette

Re: Help with bringing a pup from the UK!

Hi Annette - if you are staying on Lufthansa and just changing airplanes, then you will not clear customs and enter Germany and do not need to conform to their regulations. As for the US, rabies vaccinations are normally given at 3 months. If your puppy is not vaccinated or if it has just been vaccinated and 30 days have not elapsed at the time you enter the US, you will need to sign a home quarantine form agreeing to keep your puppy isolated. It would be wise to get your puppy vaccinated before you leave the UK if possible.
    Susan

Comment

Susan, thanks so much for the clarification. I have the form in hand already! The pup will be getting the rabies shot the weekend before we travel but as the 21 days that I read Germany requires has not elapsed I was concerned. Phew.
      Next time I will go Air France through Paris I think just to avoid the stress .

Annette

Comment

Annette - if I might suggest that you microchip your pet prior to rabies vaccination (can be done in the same office visit) that would be very wise. If you ever decide to return to the UK or anywhere in the EU, they will require a microchip before the rabies vaccination. Just so you know...
        Susan

Comment

Hi, I am a new member here in forum and I know I will learn a lot from every member here. Anyway, I can't experience this one yet, but I want to help for your problem. I will try my sister because she traveled a lot of country with her dog.

Comment

Working...
          X