Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling with puppy Canada via England to France

Hi
    We are relocating from Canada to France sometime in the early Summer. We ideally would like to travel to my parents in the UK before settling in France.
    Please could I have some help in deciding whether this is a good idea (the UK bit) or not vis a vis the amount of paperwork needed. Am wondering whether it may be easier to just go straight to France and fly the grandparents out to us rather than get the documents for the UK then apply for a European pet passport once there? Maybe the paperwork we do here for the UK automatically covers them for Europe as well?
    I know that this is not an ideal situation for our 6 month old pup, but my husband's work beckons.
    She will have had all her injections (incl rabies) for 2 months by then and is already microchipped.
    Also I am getting mixed messages as to whether Canada is a Third Country or a Rabies Free country - any ideas?
    Thanks
    Jane

Re: Travelling with puppy Canada via England to France

Hi Jane - the requirements for entering the UK are the same as they are for entering France except the veterinary certificate (Annex II) form is different. Additionally, the UK requires a tapeworm test between one and five days of entering the country. However, one thing that may affect your decision is that all live animals arriving by air to the UK must do so as manifest cargo. They must be unloaded from the plane by a licensed agent and both these things will add to the cost of your trip.

An EU pet passport is good everywhere in Europe including the UK. Also, Canada is a Third country where rabies is controlled. It is not a rabies free country.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I would be happy to answer them.
    Susan

Comment

Thanks for your answers, Susan.
      We would take the ferry from the UK to France for which I think the dog travels for a nominal fee with us in our car.
      Do you think that we need a Pet Passport from Canada and then a European Passport to help us get to France or would the Pet Passport allow us travel throughout Europe anyway? If so, how long do these take to get as we are only planning on being in the UK for 10 days?
      Thanks
      Jane

Comment

Hi Jane - I don't believe there is an issue with getting an EU pet passport, but you need to visit a vet in the UK and have a resident address. However, you should know that the Annex II form that you will use to enter the UK is good for 4 months worth of travel within the EU.
        Susan

Comment

Great Susan, that's excellent news for us as after a 10 day stay in the UK we will be staying in France thereafter. No more travelling for the foreseeable future (touch on wood!)
          Thanks for all of your help
          Jane

Comment

Anytime. Have a great trip.
            Susan
            PS Please "Like" us on Facebook if you are a member. We would really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X