Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layover in Heathrow - Anyone done it?

Hi all,

We're looking at taking our dog from Amsterdam, the Netherlands to San Diego via London Heathrow flying on British Airways with the dog as baggage. Has anyone experienced this? My dog is chipped, rabies vaccinated, has passport etc. Does anyone know if he has to comply with the extra rules for importing into UK (worm table 48 before travel) if he is not actually staying in the country?

Secondly has anyone experienced a layover at Heathrow with their pet? I have read that we'll need at least a 4 hour window to get him transferred between flights.

Re: Layover in Heathrow - Anyone done it?

There are many airlines that serve this route without a layover in LHR (United, Delta, KLM, Lufthansa to name a few). You would fly directly to the US, clear customs and continue on to SAN. Much easier than transiting LHR which requires transit forms and additional cost. Transiting in LHR will also require your pet to fly in as manifest cargo, which is more expensive.
    Susan

Comment

Yes, I know that but British Airways is the cheapest and most flexible in terms of pricing/adjustments for the human travellers

So dogs have to fly as cargo even if they are only passing through the UK? Grrrrrr.

Comment

Yes. They must be in the hold to transit.

Comment

Yes but there is a difference between him being carried as baggage in the hold and being carried in the hold as cargo. If I am only transiting through, perhaps he can be taken as baggage in the hold... I guess I'll call BA and ask.

Comment

To transit Heathrow, your pet must arrive as manifest cargo and be transferred by a licensed agent.

Comment

Yep, it is indeed actually pretty much impossible. Dog needs to fly from Amsterdam > London as cargo and then be transferred to another shipping agent who will produce another airway bill for him to travel from London > San Diego. So, KLM/Delta will get my business instead. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Transportation from Heathrow to London

Originally posted by sherbert View Post
                Yes, I know that but British Airways is the cheapest and most flexible in terms of pricing/adjustments for the human travellers

So dogs have to fly as cargo even if they are only passing through the UK? Grrrrrr.
                After reaching the airport you can move to different destination simply without facing any trouble through taxis and at the same time you can save your valuable time as well as expenses in Heathrow airport taxis.
                Last edited by admin; 03-22-2014, 09:21 AM. Reason: no linkbacks please

Comment

Working...
                X