No announcement yet.

Pet Travel Within Europe Requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Travel Within Europe Requirements?

What are the requirements for my pet (cat) to travel with me by car or plane to a another country within Europe?

I searched and the following came up:

*Be microchipped
    *Be vaccinated against rabies
    *Be treated for tapeworm 24 -120 hours before entry (dogs only) unless moving direct from Republic of Ireland, Malta, Finland or Norway.
    *Have an EU pet passport

I understand that it needs to be vaccinated and maybe have an EU pet passport... but be microchipped!?

Do I really need to have my cat implanted with something that is foreign to his body risking rejection complications or tumor? Is that really necessary so that my cat can travel freely within Europe? Is there no other way?

Re: Pet Travel Within Europe Requirements?

According to the EU Commission, the agency that regulates the movement of pets within the EU or from outside the EU, the following procedure must be followed: step one: microchip, step two: rabies vaccination (in that order) and your pet must be accompanied with an EU passport. To enter the UK, Norway or Finland, dogs (only) must have a tapeworm test between one and five days of entry. If your cat has a tattoo that was applied on or before July 3, 2011, and it is legible, it will also be accepted as a means of identification. If you are traveling by ground, there are oftentimes no border posts. If you are traveling by air, then a means of identification will be required at the airport. We cannot predict how requirements will be enforced, but always suggest they are followed to avoid any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      According to the EU Commission, the agency that regulates the movement of pets within the EU or from outside the EU, the following procedure must be followed: step one: microchip, step two: rabies vaccination (in that order) and your pet must be accompanied with an EU passport. To enter the UK, Norway or Finland, dogs (only) must have a tapeworm test between one and five days of entry. If your cat has a tattoo that was applied on or before July 3, 2011, and it is legible, it will also be accepted as a means of identification. If you are traveling by ground, there are oftentimes no border posts. If you are traveling by air, then a means of identification will be required at the airport. We cannot predict how requirements will be enforced, but always suggest they are followed to avoid any problems.
      We will be traveling Dec 2014 from the US with our yorkie in cabin to the following stops:
      US to Dublin, Ireland (24 hour layover)
      Dublin, Ireland to Paris, France (5 nights)
      Paris, France to Geneva, Switzerland via rail (5 nights)
      Geneva, Switzerland to Madrid, Spain (+/- 24 hour layover)
      Madrid, Spain to US
      I clearly understand STEPS 1 & 2 after that I do not have clear understanding. Due to the fact we are US citizens do we need the Pet Passport? Will we be carrying tons of paper work with us? How will this all work and what are your suggestions?
      Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Pets can enter Ireland thru Dublin Airport. The rules are the same as for the UK in terms of microchip, rabies vaccination, Annex II certificate and tapeworm certificate. They must arrive as manifested cargo and prior arrangements must be made by filing for a permit unless they are arriving on Aer Lingus, Lufthansa or Emirates Air. If arriving on those three airlines then the import permit is not required but they still must arrive as manifested cargo.

You will need another Annex II to go to France. Since you are only in Ireland for 1 day that form can be filled out and USDA certified here in the US.

That certificate will suffice for the rest of the countries as long as you enter Spain within 10 days of when the certificate was signed by an authorized veterinarian.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X