No announcement yet.

Travelling from Mumbai, India to Edmonton, Canada with 7 month old lab puppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling from Mumbai, India to Edmonton, Canada with 7 month old lab puppy

Hello All,

This is the first time we will be travelling with Yuki (our 7 month old lab puppy) on a plane.
    And we are very anxious and would appreciate any tips / experiences for a safe and stress free travel of our baby Yuki.

The whole travel will take more than 24+ hrs, most common stops will be from -Mumbai, India to Frankfurt, Germany - duration around 9 hoursFrankfurt, Germany to Calgary, Canada - duration around 11 hoursCalgary, Canada to Edmonton, Canada - duration around 1 hour

Have loads of queries, here are few -
    1. references for the best airlines - Air Canada/ Lufthansa / Jet Airways / British Airways
    2. is the long travel duration going to cause any problems for our baby? The longest we have traveled with him is in CAR for around 6 hours - we was very tired but otherwise no issues.
    3. when they transfer him between planes and also at our destination - Edmonton; it will be snowing - how to manage the temperature change? any tips on how to make him comfortable with the temperature shift? Our Vet said he will be fine however would appreciate if someone can share their experience with us.

Thank you in advance

Re: Travelling from Mumbai, India to Edmonton, Canada with 7 month old lab puppy

Hello - the most important thing considering your route is that you keep your pet on the same airline as the airlines do not interline pets. All of the airlines transport many pets like yours. It is the airline that provides the best route with the least amount of connections and the shortest layovers. I would be happy to answer additional questions.
    Susan

Comment

Re: Travelling from Mumbai, India to Edmonton, Canada with 7 month old lab puppy

Thanks for the reply Susan

Our other main concern is the climate change.

Our hometown has a tropical wet and dry climate with average temperatures ranging between 20 to 28 C (68 to 82 F). The lowest in winters can be 5 to 6 C (41 to 43 F).

Where as Edmonton will be around −11.7 C (10.9 F) or lower in winter.

Appreciate if you can give any advice / links that will help us prepare for a smooth transition for Yuki into the new climate.

Comment

My advice would be to inquire to the airlines as to their policy on accepting pets on flights where destinations will be that cool. You may need an Acclimation Certificate from your veterinarian stating that your pet is accustomed to these temperatures. There is little you can do for preparing the crate other than to include a blanket as clothing can pose a risk to your pet. Try flying in at mid-day if you can when temperatures are warmer.

Actually, pets do adapt to changes in temperatures a bit better than humans do. As long as your airline's policy is unload live animals from the cargo hold quickly, your pet should do fine. I would recommend you contact your airlines and discuss their policies for offloading their pets and whether their holding areas are heated.
        Susan

Comment

Thanks again Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,

I know its been too long to reply here... but just to let you know...we traveled this year January with Yuki to Edmonton and he is doing great, loves the snow

Comment

That is simply awesome. I am happy for you both!

Comment

Hello yukimom,

I read your discussion here and want to congratulate on the successful move with your pet.
                I have recently joined this forum in search for the best way to get my Dog travel from New Delhi, India to Los Angeles, United States.
                I have inquired about the regular process of traveling as a excess baggage in the Cargo but i am looking for more better options.
                However, after reading your story i would like to know the process you adopted and any reference if you can provide will be helpful on determining the right choices.
                Thanks,

Anmol

Comment

Working...
                X