Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I avoid Cargo Hold Travel for small diabetic dog travelling from USA to UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I avoid Cargo Hold Travel for small diabetic dog travelling from USA to UK?

After more than 30 years living in the USA, I have finally retired and I am moving back to the UK. I would have done so a number of years ago but the previous gruesome UK Quarantine restrictions for my pets were an unacceptable burden.

I am still not prepared to subject my dogs to being stuck in a cargo hold - no matter how well it is ventilated and air-conditioned. I have seen and heard of far too many horror stories of pet travel mishaps while being shipped as manifest cargo on airliners.

One of my dogs is a 6 year-old Yorkie Mix who has been receiving treatment for Diabetes for 3 years. His condition has been well-controlled from the beginning of his illness, but because of his cataracts, he is now functionally blind. His condition requires that he is not put in a stressful environment. He requires a carefully regulated meal and an insulin injection every 12 hours.

As I understand it, the UK will not allow airlines to transport pets from the USA to the UK direct - they apparently can only travel in the hold. I have heard of pets being transported in-cabin from the US to France and other nearby EU countries and then being brought into the UK by ferry/car. Is this feasible?

Alternatively, is there a way for me to arrange a more humane and non life-threatening method of transporting my diabetic dog back to the UK by using a DEFRA-approved Charter carrier?

I would appreciate any input from pet-owners who have found a solution to this problem.

Re: How can I avoid Cargo Hold Travel for small diabetic dog travelling from USA to U

Many pet travelers who travel to the UK and want to avoid the manifest cargo requirement do so by flying to France, renting a car and entering the UK either by ferry or through the Chunnel. This way, your pet can travel in the cabin with you as long as your airline's pet policies allow it.
    Susan

Comment

Re: How can I avoid Cargo Hold Travel for small diabetic dog travelling from USA to U

Have you thought about taking a cruise? Cunard Queen Mary II take dogs and they travel from NY to Southampton. The trip is 7 days though but you are able to see visit your dog pretty much whenever you want too. This is also a DEFRA approved way to travel with your pet. The problem is they book FAR in advance. My husband and I are also relocating back to the UK with our blind labrador and trying to find the best route. The cruise isn't really an option for us as they are booked up until March 2014!

Comment

Working...
      X