Large dog from USA to Cyprus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large dog from USA to Cyprus

I am travelling to Cyprus at the beginning of October and wishing to take my dog. The crate size is Giant 48x32x35 inches. I had booked with Delta/KLM and they approved the my dog in the hold, accompanying me on the flight. The cost was going to be $200. Subsequently they contacted me and said the dog would have to travel as freight at a cost of $2800 to Amsterdam and I would have to make arrangements for him on flight to Cyprus. After now having bought a ticket I am now seeking alternative airlines, via Moscow or via Vienna, with Aeroflot and Austrian Airlines respectively. Does anyone here have any good tips as the huge difference in price between accompanied pet and cargo costs are something I cannot really afford. Thank you

Re: Large dog from USA to Cyprus

There are no direct flights, but you need to keep your pet on the same airline the entire trip else you will have to claim your dog and recheck them on the next airline. This will entail clearing customs and conforming to the layover country's requirements. At first glance, your options are with Aeroflot, Lufthansa or United depending on where you are flying from. British Airways also serves this route but they will fly your pet as cargo.

Frankly, I am surprised you were quoted checked baggage rates due to the size of your pet. most airlines limit the size of the pet to around 75 pounds.
    Susan

Comment

Hi, I am thinking about doing the same trip with my dog (a small tibetan terrier), and I am wondering how the process was... If it was a very difficult process, then I may have to figure out another option, but if it was relatively easy and stress free, then I would like to travel with my dog. Do you have any information or advice that will be useful to me? Thanks in advance.

HyBriDe Dd

Comment

Zhanb001 - if you are taking your dog to Cyprus from the US is not difficult. Your pet will need to be microchipped with a 15 digit chip, then vaccinated for rabies at least 21 days prior to import. An Annex IV form must be completed by a USDA accredited vet together with an APHIS 7001 form within 10 days of travel for endorsement by your State USDA office. Find an airline that flies the entire route as the airlines do not interline pets.
        susan

Comment

Working...
        X