Taking a cat with me from Istanbul to Boston, transfer in Munich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a cat with me from Istanbul to Boston, transfer in Munich

We have a return ticket from Istanbul to Boston via transit in Munich. I decided take a darling cat home with us. What do I do now? I know U.S. Customs will not fuss if cat's papers and shots are in order but I have no idea about Munich. Should I take it with me in a container in cabin? That sounds like the only way for I don't know how much sense it makes to check in a cat through transit flight. Did anyone do this before? I need to figure things out before August 20 latest. Although a precious Siamese, this cat was found idle, either a run away or a lost one. Owners can't be found and there's no previous record available, but I can obtain new papers and vaccination cart from a vet after physical exam. What's the easiest way of doing this? We'll be flying Turkish and Lufthansa. Any suggestion and advise will be appreciated. Thanks. Anna.

Re: Taking a cat with me from Istanbul to Boston, transfer in Munich

Because you are changing airlines in Germany, you will most likely have to clear customs and conform to German requirements. Entering Germany from Turkey will require that your pet be micro chipped, then vaccinated. No sooner than 21 days prior to the date of vaccination, a blood titer test is performed. Your pet can enter Germany 3 months after the blood is drawn.

A much easier way to travel to the US would be to transit through Germany on the same airline. If that happens, you should not have to clear customs and confirm to German requirements. if you need instructions and forms for entering Germany, you can find them here: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Passports/.
    Susan

Comment

I don't know if you've travelled back yet or not, but the best way to know if you need to clear customs is to call the airport. For instance, I'm in the same position except travelling through Copenhagen via Turkish and IcelandAir. The wonderful staff at the Copenhagen airport told me (both verbally and in writing) that so long as the cat doesn't leave the airport, they don't care if we change airlines and I only need to comply with US entry requirements. I would suggest calling the Munich airport to find out for certain, as I'd hate for you to have to leave such a precious cat behind here in Istanbul!

Comment

My concern was whether the pet was traveling as cargo. The airlines will not interline pets. Traveling in-cabin is depends on the airport. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X