Help! Flying 2 dogs through Miami next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Flying 2 dogs through Miami next week

Hello. I cannot find a description anywhere of how you travel into the states with two dogs with a connection. I am bringing back 2 dogs I adopted here in Argentina a few years ago. They are too large to go inside the cabin so they are going American Airlines as checked baggage in their crates. I have all their paperwork here and I think we will be fine but I would love it if someone could post any experiences they have about traveling with dogs this way. For example, the airlines say they only accept some many dogs per flight. We will be there at earliest check in 4 hours before but can we still walk our dogs around by the airport and only send them through 2 hours before? Do they go with the baggage people and then we go through security? What happens when we land in Miami? Do you get the dogs back at baggage claim and go through customs? What is that like? This is after immigration right? Can I take them to a pet relief area before my connection? Will I have go back through security? Where do I check them in again? Where do we collect them in Chicago?? Thank you anybody for any info. you have.

Re: Help! Flying 2 dogs through Miami next week

You can pick up your dogs at baggage claim in Miami and go through customs. You can then re-check them at the check-in counter for your next flight. As to when to check them in, I would contact the airlines and ask them their minimum time for check in. In Chicago, you will collect them at baggage claim.
    Susan

Comment

Thank you for this information. There are three hours between the landing on the international flights and the connecting flight. Does anyone have any experience to know whether that is enough time to take them out to the rest area and back in again? Also, when the get checked in in BA are they in a sense reserved for the entire journey or is there always the chance they could be refused on the Chicago flight because of the "first come first serve, only so many dogs in baggage allowed" rule? If anyone has any more info. please help. Thanks!

Comment

It is not advisable to claim your pet and recheck them on the next flight unless American requires it due to the long layover. It would not be an issue if your pet was traveling as manifest cargo. Checked baggage is another matter. You need to contact them and inquire.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X