greyhounds and cats NJ to Germany - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greyhounds and cats NJ to Germany - help

My husband and I have 2 greyhounds and 4 cats and wish to move with them from NJ to Germany. We understand that more than one trip may be necessary.

The dogs:

1) What airline has the best reputation for transporting large dogs safely from US to Europe, ideally Germany? (We will be going to Bochum, the nearest airport is Dusseldorf, though Frankfurt is not too far away either).

2) Where do I get the appropriate crates for such large dogs?

3) One of the dogs is 7 and the other 5 - is their age a problem?

4) Is there a special vet or certification process to be able to bring them into the country? They are up to date on their shots, although we did not go to a special vet in order to get their vaccinations. They were microchipped at one point (they are rescues), but I do not know much about it. Do I need to get them remicrochipped?

Cats:

1) One of the cats is 17 years old. Will microchipping a cat that age be problematic? Can a cat that old manage an international flight?

2) One of the cats has a pushed in face - she's a himalayan, we think. I have read that often dogs with such anatomy are not allowed to fly long distances because they develop breathing problems and die. Is that also true of cats? We are not sure how old she is, but likely around 10. Is that also a problem?

3) Our other 2 cats are rather large. Will that be a problem if we wish to bring them as carry ons?

4) What kind of carriers are best for the cats? We are assuming that we will take them on as carry-ons, one cat per person, two trips.

5) And what does one do for the cats (or dogs) in terms of allowing them to go to the bathroom? The last time we transported cats internationally was 16 years ago from Israel to the US. At that time the vet advised us to tranquilize the cats. One slept the entire 13 hour journey, the other one woke up, but neither of them seemed inclined to urinate or have bowel movements. Now I read that one should not tranquilize the animals, but I can imagine that causes other problems - howling, need for bathroom breaks etc. How does one deal with these issues?

6) Are ships even a possibility? I have read that mostly ships want animals kept in cargo, which would not be good for them. I wondered whether cats might be allowed in the cabins with the humans, especially if transporting our elderly cats by plane was deemed risky.

Re: greyhounds and cats NJ to Germany - help

My husband and I have 2 greyhounds and 4 cats and wish to move with them from NJ to Germany. We understand that more than one trip may be necessary.

The dogs:

1) What airline has the best reputation for transporting large dogs safely from US to Europe, ideally Germany? (We will be going to Bochum, the nearest airport is Dusseldorf, though Frankfurt is not too far away either).

RESPONSE: WE DON'T RECOMMEND AIRLINES. YOU MAY CONSIDER LUFTHANSA OR KLM, BUT ALL OF THE AIRLINES THAT SERVE THIS ROUTE HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE IN TRANSPORTING PETS.

2) Where do I get the appropriate crates for such large dogs?
    YOU NEED TO MEASURE YOUR PET FROM TIP OF EARS (if your pet's ears are erect - otherwise it is to the top of head) TO THE GROUND AND FROM THE TIP OF NOSE TO THE BASE OF TAIL WHEN YOUR PET IS STANDING TO CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE CRATE. YOU CAN FIND IATA COMPLIANT CRATES FOR AIRLINE TRAVEL HERE: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Crates-%26-Accessories/Pet-Crates/.

3) One of the dogs is 7 and the other 5 - is their age a problem?
    THEIR AGE IS NOT A PROBLEM UNLESS THEIR HEALTH IS A PROBLEM. PETS NEED TO BE IN GOOD HEALTH TO TRAVEL.

4) Is there a special vet or certification process to be able to bring them into the country? They are up to date on their shots, although we did not go to a special vet in order to get their vaccinations. They were microchipped at one point (they are rescues), but I do not know much about it. Do I need to get them microchipped?
    THE OROCEDURE FOR TAKING A PET TO GERMANY FROM THE US IS AS FOLLOWS: MICROCHIP THE PET WITH A 15 DIGIT ISO MICROCHIP, THEN VACCINATE IT FOR RABIES. THIS MUST BE DONE AT LEAST 21 DAYS PRIOR TO ENTERING GERMANY. THEN, SHORTLY PRIOR TO TRAVEL, AN ACCREDITED VETERINARIAN COMPLETES THE ANNEX II FORM FOR GERMANY FOR ENDORSEMENT BY THE USDA. You can find complete instructions and for s here: http://pettravelstore.com/products/Pet-Passport-Germany.html

Cats:

1) One of the cats is 17 years old. Will microchipping a cat that age be problematic? Can a cat that old manage an international flight?
    MIRCO CHIPPING AN ANIMAL IS A PAINLESS PROCESS AND SHOULD NOT BE PROBLEMATIC FOR AN OLDER ANIMAL. AGAIN, AGE IS A FACTOR IN TRAVEL, BUT NOT AS MUCH AS HEALTH.

2) One of the cats has a pushed in face - she's a himalayan, we think. I have read that often dogs with such anatomy are not allowed to fly long distances because they develop breathing problems and die. Is that also true of cats? We are not sure how old she is, but likely around 10. Is that also a problem?
    SNUB NOSED PETS ARE A PROBLEM WITH MANY AIRLINES WHEN TRAVELING AS CHECKED BAGGAGE, BUT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND AIRLINES THAT WILL TRANSPORT THEM AS CARGO. DELTA WILL DO THIS.

3) Our other 2 cats are rather large. Will that be a problem if we wish to bring them as carry ons?
    I AM NOT SURE IF YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIND AN AIRLINE THAT WILL TRANSPORT YOUR PET IN THE CABIN FOR AN INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT.

4) What kind of carriers are best for the cats? We are assuming that we will take them on as carry-ons, one cat per person, two trips.
    IF YOU CAN FIND AN AIRLINE THAT WILL ALLOW PETS IN THE CABIN ON INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS, THESE ARE ALL AIRLINE COMPLIANT: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Carriers-%26-Accessories/Pet-Carriers/

5) And what does one do for the cats (or dogs) in terms of allowing them to go to the bathroom? The last time we transported cats internationally was 16 years ago from Israel to the US. At that time the vet advised us to tranquilize the cats. One slept the entire 13 hour journey, the other one woke up, but neither of them seemed inclined to urinate or have bowel movements. Now I read that one should not tranquilize the animals, but I can imagine that causes other problems - howling, need for bathroom breaks etc. How does one deal with these issues?
    WE DO NOT ADVISE YOU TO TRANQUILIZER YOUR PETS. MANY AIRLINES WILL NOT ACCEPT THEM IN CARGO IF THEY ARE TRANQUILIZED. YOU SHOULD LIMIT INTAKE OF FOOD PRIOR TO FLYING. ALSO, BE CAREFUL ABOUT ALLOWING WATER WITHIN 2 HOURS OF FLYING.

6) Are ships even a possibility? I have read that mostly ships want animals kept in cargo, which would not be good for them. I wondered whether cats might be allowed in the cabins with the humans, especially if transporting our elderly cats by plane was deemed risky.
    THE ONLY COMMERCIAL SHIP THAT WE KNOW OF THAT TRANSPORTS PETS IS THE QUEEN MARY II. THEY ARE BOOKED VERY FAR IN ADVANCE.

SUSAN

Comment

Regardless of whether or not it is allowed to transport snub nosed pets, is it safe for the animal? Why would putting them in cargo help?

Comment

Cargo is more controlled and it is also tracked. The airline personnel will know that there is a pet in cargo as it will show up on their manifest, and will carefully monitor oxygen levels. If there are layovers, the airlines will monitor the pet and service them. In certain cases, cargo personnel will kennel the pet is there is a facility in the airport.

The airlines suggest (and some of them require) that you fly your snub nosed pet in a crate that is one size larger than the pet would ordinarily fit in, and it should be ventilated on all 4 sides for air circulation.

Your question about safety is best answered by a veterinarian, but I would say that pet health is paramount in safe traveling. In many cases of incidents, the pet's health was a factor.
        Susan

Comment

Do all airlines that transport pets monitor the animals that carefully, as a matter of course, or does one have to do research into different airline policies?

Comment

All airlines that transport pets as cargo monitor them very carefully. When they accept the pet, they assume responsibility for getting the pet to the destination safely. Pets flying as checked baggage are not tracked, however. This is not to say that they are not transported safely. If you are flying with a pet as checked baggage, be proactive at the gate asking for confirmation that your pet has been loaded. Tell the crew that there is a pet in the hold.

Pet policies do differ by airline. Some do not allow pets in the cabin. Some have in-cabin and cargo, but no checked baggage service. It depends on the airline.
            Susan

Comment

Is there a policy type that is best for the animal? What should we be looking for when we go airline shopping? Also, some people have suggested we use a pet shipping company? Are you allowed to recommend any? Is it better to take an animal as cargo on the same plan on which you are flying, or have a company ship the animal?

Comment

Your pets will need to travel as checked baggage (if you are accompanying them) or cargo. If tou are traveling prior to mid October, you will need to use an airline that has a summer heat program such as United or Delta. It is your decision whether to use a pet transport company. Their services will involve assisting you with the paperwork required, booking the pet on the airline, and even door to door service if this is what you need. You can fill in your details here for a quote: http://www.pettraveltransport.com/pettransportquote.html.

It is better to travel on the same airplane with your pet, if this is possible.

Susan

Comment

Did you send it through the forum or to my email? I don't see it in my forum email.
                  Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    Did you send it through the forum or to my email? I don't see it in my forum email.
                    Susan
                    Through the forum, the subject is "vBulletin Services"

Do you want me to send it through the contact form?

Regards

Comment

How does water work for the crates? I gather there is a special water dispenser for dogs being shipped in the cargo hold? Also, I have heard that there are homeopathic medications that help calm the animals and help with motion sickness that ARE allowed? What are they and do they work?

Comment

If you have a layover along the way, airline handlers will check to see if there is adequate water in the bowl that is attached to the crate door. It is a requirement of the airlines that a water/food bowl be attached to the door of the crate. There are all natural pet calmers available and they seem to take the edge off nervous pets. Here are some of them: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Accessories/.
                        Susan

Comment

You can surely check with the different airlines to see what kind of pet transport options you can find. For example, Continental Airlines has a PetSafe program. Pets fly in the same cabin conditions as the people passengers. They are transported from terminal to plane in an air conditioned van. For an extra charge, you can get them to feed and walk the kitty during longer layovers. Other airlines offer similar services except for the air conditioned van. Just do your research and you both should be fine. If there is a dog then obviously not allowed on airport it depends upon the rules or regulations for different different airports.

Comment

Working...
                          X