Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help... Confused about moving from US to UK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... Confused about moving from US to UK!

I have been all over the internet and can't seem to find the same advice twice! We are moving to the UK and want to bring our dog, Indiana, so he can start destroying another country one shoe at a time. I can't seem to find any definitive information about what we need to do for him. So far, he has his chip. Do I need to do the blood test and wait six months? Or is that no longer done? He's all up to date on rabies, but I've seen in some places I need to start vaccinations again, right? Is there anyone here who has done this since the new regulations started at the beginning of 2012 who can tell me once and for all what the heck I'm getting myself into? Thanks!!

Re: Help... Confused about moving from US to UK!

The requirements depend on where you are traveling from. If you are traveling from a third country like the US, Canada, Mexico or many other countries, you must microchip your pet, then vaccinate against rabies at least 21 days prior to entering the UK. Shortly before travel, your veterinarian will fill out an Annex II form for the UK. Your dog will also require a tapeworms test within 1 and 5 days prior to travel. If you are entering the UK from a country with a high incidence of rabies, you will need a blood titer test 3 months prior to entering the country.

You can find all the forms and instructions for entering the UK here: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Passports/.

If you let me know where your pet is traveling from, I can be more specific.

Susan

Comment

Oh right, can't believe I left that out! We're moving from the US, so your info applies to us, and is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Comment

My bad. You had it in the title and I did not catch it. Sorry.
        Susan

Comment

Can you help me too? Re: Help... Confused about moving from US to UK!

We are moving from New York USA to London UK in July with our very healthy, microchippped, born in the UK, 20lb female, 5yr old boston terrier Dixie.

She is a snub nose dog so we are limited to which airline she can go on. I am trying to figure out the best route to take to get her there safely and without completely breaking the bank (I've had quotes from pet travel agents of 2,500-3,500$ that would be flying continental or klm)

Could I book a flight for her with any other airline / do I have to use a pet agent?

Should I try Air France?
          Would I be able to get from France to the UK with the paperwork you mentioned? Or do I have to have the EU pets passport?

I am feeling pretty lost, and really want my family to travel together, 4 year old daughter trumps dog, so we are willing to send the dog separatley, but cant seem to get much reassurance about safety. I would appreciate any advice you can offer, I realise there are a lot of scattered questions here, thank you, Emma

Comment

Re: Can you help me too? Re: Help... Confused about moving from US to UK!

You may want to try Delta, Virgin Atlantic and Air Canada cargo as they serve this route and accept snub nosed pets in cargo. DEFRA does not require you to hire a transport agent to fly into the UK, but you still will be subject to DEFRA clearance fees. That said, certain airlines require that you hire an agent, so be sure and ask when you call.

If you fly into France, you will have to abide by similiar requirements as the UK, but need your veterinarian to fill out the Annex II form for France.

Susan

Comment

Re: Can you help me too? Re: Help... Confused about moving from US to UK!

Did you ever find an airline that will take your dog? I am having the same issue and Delta and Virgin Atlantic do NOT take snub-nosed dogs any longer.

Comment

Working...
              X