Traveling to France and Italy with our dog from San Francisco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to France and Italy with our dog from San Francisco

My husband and I would like to take our Coton dog (15 pounds) to France and Italy. In your experience, what airlines are the best to fly all of us -- the ones that are the most pet friendly? Would you recommend that we fly from SF to New York and have a layover before proceeding to Europe? Or is it best to fly non-stop to Paris or Milan? What is your experience with traveling on the train with a small dog?

Re: Traveling to France and Italy with our dog from San Francisco

One of your considerations is whether it is your objective to have your pet travel in the cabin with you. From the weight that you have provided plus the weight of the carrier is 17 pounds which exceeds the upper limit of many airlines. On international flights, the airlines do consider the weight of the carrier and the pet. Additionally, and assuming that you are originating out of SF, if you fly from SF to Paris directly, the flight may be too long for your pet to remain in the cabin. You may accomplish your objective by breaking up your trip in NY but you will have to find an airline that will allow your pet in the cabin and find an airline compliant carrier.

For example, Air France has a direct flight between SF and CDG, but their weight limit is 13.2 pounds including the carrier for in-cabin travel.

If your pet is traveling in cargo, I would take the direct flight. The most stressful times for the pet is generally take off and landing. Most pets sleep while in flight.

I am not sure where you contemplate taking the train. In the US, we know of no non-tourist type trains that will accept pets. In Europe, many of their trains are pet friendly.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Few more questions for clarification -- So my best option is to take a non-stop from SF to CDG? Is that what you meant? And I understand that he weighs too much to be in the cabin with me. Will he be in a pressurized unit of the plane? I imagine it's best to take a late night flight so he'll be sleepy? Which airlines going to France are the most pet friendly?

Also, we are going to be taking the train from Paris to Venice. Can we have him in the train cabin with us?

Is there an 800# to call to talk in person?

Thanks so much.

Comment

The direct flight is 10.5 hours. From NY, the flight to Paris is 7.5 hours. If you plan to spend a day or so in NY, that would be great for your pet. If you are only laying over, then I would take a direct flight. Air France offers direct service.

There are several trains that run between Paris and Venice. Rail Europe is pet friendly, EuroStar is not. I am checking with RailEurope. You need to confirm with the train you intend to use for the route that you intend to take.

Comment

Is there a phone number for your company? I didn't get all the answers to my questions -- On Rail Europe, do we keep him with us rather than in a separate compartment? Is Air France recommended by your company, or do you recommended another airline?

Thank you

Comment

We don't recommend airlines. Also, the information provided by RailEurope with regard to pets differs by route.You can call our store at 877-241-0184 if you have further questions. We would be happy to help.

Comment

Working...
            X