Pet BIRD travel to Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet BIRD travel to Brazil

Hi, I'm relocating to Brazil in June. I live in new jersey. I have a Sun Conure that i rescued 3 years ago from an abusive owner. Since i've gotten her from her previous owner i've done everything for her well being. Now due to some circunstances i have to move out of the country, but i am doing all i can to bring her over with me. Okay so far, i've gotten the Cites export permit from USFWS and an import permit from brazil's wildlife agency. Also i've have authorazation from their Ministry of Agriculture (its their version of USDA). I'm almost okay to go. I've encountered two problems though. One is that brazil requires in their health certificate that my bird be in quarantine for 30 days, which they said can be done at home. I've contacted the USDA and they also said it can be done at home, but i have to find an accredited veterinarian to fill out the international health certificate and sign. I've called and emailed every clinic in the surrounding areas. I can't find anyone. My other problem is getting an airline that will take my bird. United and Continental says they have an embargo about taking birds. I called many airlines, only Delta said that they will send her as cargo. Which i didnt want, i wanted in cabin, but with international flights cargo will be the only thing i'll find. What i'm concerned is that, i need her to be in the same plane as me. I'm going to book my flight next week for june, i can only make a reservation for my bird 14 days prior to travel. At least thats what delta told me. Well if anyone can give me information about avian accredited veterinarians or about airline travel international for birds, i will appreciate it. Thanks to everyone who reads my post.

Re: Pet BIRD travel to Brazil

As to your first problem, the USDA will only endorse USDA accredited veterinarians. Unfortunately, there is no list published so you will have to keep calling until you find a vet that is USDA accredited. You may try your state USDA office and ask them if they know of any. As to your question about airlines, I do not know if you have called these airlines, but they have reasonable routes to Brazil: US Airways, Copa, and American.
    Susan

Comment

Hi, i have contacted Copa airlines and Us airways also. As of now i've only found Delta that is allowing as cargo. I called them twice asking information about how the cargo shipment works, but they havent explained my questions to the extent that i have. Can anyone explain me how it works. My bird would go in the cargo compartment in the same flight as me? They explained that i have to be in the airport 4 hours prior to travel and fill out an air bill. They havent been clear on that part though. I mean, i dont want to just ship her. I'm going to accompany her also. Its all very confusing. When i called United, they first said i could even take her as carry in cabin, then i called again to confirm they said i couldnt even take her as cargo. I dont know what to believe.

Comment

You will need to arrive at the airport 4 hours ahead of schedule if your pet is traveling as manifested cargo. Your pet should be able to travel on the same flight as you are, but remember that your pet's reservation is no guarantee of boarding. Shortly prior to travel, Delta will look at their cargo manifest and reserves the right to bump. Although live animals rank higher than regular cargo, and bumping is not something the airlines like to do, it does happen. Did you ask Delta if they would carry your bird as checked baggage to Brazil?

Comment

Hi, i did ask them, if she could be shipped as checked baggage. The first time i called they said ''yes''. I then called latter to confirm that information and the person on the phone said no, only cargo. That's what kills me, i never know for sure if im getting the correct information.

Comment

I've come this far, spent the last few months getting paperwork done. I thought that would be the hardest part. I think i was wrong. This is the hardest part. Yesterday i spoke to a few accredited vets that i found and sent them the health requirements, they said they would look into it and call me. I almost feel like getting a pet relocating company to finish the process as of booking flight and reservation for my bird. If i didnt care for her so much i think i would give up on taking her. I dont have anyone to take care of her for me though. I'm going to continue doing all i can until i succeed or run out of options.

Comment

Working...
            X