Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any humane way of pets entering Australia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any humane way of pets entering Australia?

I will be moving to Australia from the US and I am sickened to find that there is no humane way of taking my Westie with me. I was quoted nearly $4000 by a pet travel company to prepare her documents, arrange for her travel (cargo area only) and then she must go directly into quarantine, regardless of how clean her vet records are, for a minimum of 30 days. I am willing to travel by boat if that means I can have her with me during the voyage, but I have found no cruise, or even cargo ship that will allow this, nor any airline that will accommodate us. She is a loved little house dog, who may be traumatized by being treated as a mere diseased object, being placed with luggage, in a dark, noisy compartment alone for about 24 hours, and then forced to live in animal shelter conditions in Sydney (hours away from my destination) for a month.
    THIS IS APPALLING AND BARBARIC, yet Australia deems itself a ''civilized'' country.

Does anyone know of a humane way of traveling with pets to Australia?
    I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,
    Lilysmom

Re: Any humane way of pets entering Australia?

Australia is a rabies free country hence the quarantine. It would be great if they allowed home quarantine, but they do not. As for traveling in the cargo department, this is not a country requirement. We know of no airline that will allow a pet in the cabin for that length of time no matter what the route is. Although Australia is a popular destination, it is a difficult place to take a pet.

Comment

My best friend moved to Australia about 8 months ago now and I had to take his dog for him because he couldn't find any way to take it across out there, he's going for 2 years so looks like i have the dog for another year and a bit!

Comment

Well not quite a good news for me. I always want to bring my pets while I travel. They gave me so much joy and fun. Is there any ways you can suggest on how to bring them out of the country without holding them at the airport?

Comment

Australia is nice in pets. You don't have to worry, they are free from danger.
          ifly.net.au

Comment

Working...
          X