Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

    Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum, and I hope you knowledgeable folks around here can give me a little (actually, quite a lot of) advice.

    I'm currently living in Seoul, South Korea. I've been here for almost six years, and three years ago, my wife and I adopted a pekingese (named Charles). We're planning to relocate back to the UK in the next few months, and I'm starting to look into bringing Charles back with us. The issues I'm running into:

    1. Charles is big for his breed, around 14 pounds (6.4 kilos), putting him over the weight limit for travelling in the cabin.

    2. Many airlines are now banning brachycephalic dogs (including pekingese) from flying as cargo.

    3. UK pet import rules state that pets MUST fly as manifested cargo.

    Can anyone see a way around this? There's no way I'm putting him up for adoption AGAIN. He was already abandoned once in his life, and I take my responsibilities towards my dog very seriously. Money (within reason) isn't a huge issue here. I'll shell out a good few thousand dollars if it gets my dog back to the UK. I'll endure the inconvenience of travelling in some unusual way. Charles is 4 years old, neutered, in good health, and I'm on top of all the vaccination/paperwork requirements for the UK.

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Re: Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

    You may consider flying to France and taking the ferry. That would avoid the manifested cargo issue. Is there time to diet?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

      Originally posted by admin View Post
      You may consider flying to France and taking the ferry. That would avoid the manifested cargo issue. Is there time to diet?
      I was just thinking of that myself. There's definitely time for that. What I've been thinking is this: would an airline be more likely to 'look the other way' on the weight limit if I flew business or first class? I'm guessing that the weight, including the bag, would be around 7.5 kilos. I'm definitely willing to shell out for that if it removes the hassle.

      Also, this wouldn't be me flying. I'll be heading back to the UK in a few weeks for work. My wife will be staying here in Korea until May, when her visa should be cleared. She'll be flying to the UK with Charles. Thus, I'll be able to drive to Paris, pick her up, and drive her and the dog back to the UK.

      So, best plan thus far:

      Fly ICN>CDG in business class, drive back to the UK via Eurotunnel or ferry.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

        Originally posted by bigrich View Post
        I was just thinking of that myself. There's definitely time for that. What I've been thinking is this: would an airline be more likely to 'look the other way' on the weight limit if I flew business or first class? I'm guessing that the weight, including the bag, would be around 7.5 kilos. I'm definitely willing to shell out for that if it removes the hassle.

        Also, this wouldn't be me flying. I'll be heading back to the UK in a few weeks for work. My wife will be staying here in Korea until May, when her visa should be cleared. She'll be flying to the UK with Charles. Thus, I'll be able to drive to Paris, pick her up, and drive her and the dog back to the UK.

        So, best plan thus far:

        Fly ICN>CDG in business class, drive back to the UK via Eurotunnel or ferry.
        There should be more room under the seat in front of you in business class. You should ask the airline whether they would allow pets in the cabin on this route Some will not permit pets in-cabin on international flights due to the length of flight. They also are stricter on weight and will post weight requirements on their websites for international flights.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

          How did you get on I need to take my peke from bangkok to uk next year would love to know
          Originally posted by admin View Post
          There should be more room under the seat in front of you in business class. You should ask the airline whether they would allow pets in the cabin on this route Some will not permit pets in-cabin on international flights due to the length of flight. They also are stricter on weight and will post weight requirements on their websites for international flights.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

            Annie - in addition to the regular UK requirements (rabies vaccination after the microchip insertion) your pet will need a titer test at least 90 days prior to entry to the UK because you are entering from a high rabies country. You will also need an Annex II form completed by your vet within 10 days of travel. Also, a tapeworm test within one to five days of entering the UK.

            As for the airlines, to avoid the cargo restriction, you will either have to enter the UK via ferry from Calais, France or Amsterdam or hire a car and take the Chunnel. Check out DFDS out of Amsterdam.
            Susan

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

              Hello everyone,
              Please can anyone help me with any information on getting my Pekingese dog from Vietnam (Hanoi) to Philippines (Manila)?
              I am having issues with finding a way to travel my dog to the Philippines, does anyone out there know how we can get our Pekingese safely, by boat or plane, or any other suggestions, that will accept taking him as he is a snub nose and I am finding the airlines won't let him on because of the snub nose - risk of breathing difficulties. We would like to take him on as cabin carry on but not having any luck.
              Please can someone help me as we have come to a brick wall with all the airlines in Hanoi saying no to his breed. We are desperate to take him with us as he is apart of our family.
              Any info will be appreciated and a help.
              Thank you.
              Talia

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

                Talia - you may have to wait until the Fall to fly your Pekingese and actually, it would be safer for your pet to do that.

                There are many airlines that serve the route including Vietnam Airlines, Asiana, Singapore Airlines, China Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Korean Air (they will fly your pet in cabin as long as it is small enough) and Japan Airlines. (Cathay Pacific bans snub nosed breeds). However, the airlines may refuse you due to the summer temperatures.
                Susan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Flying a pekingese - laundry list of issues

                  Originally posted by admin View Post
                  Talia - you may have to wait until the Fall to fly your Pekingese and actually, it would be safer for your pet to do that.

                  There are many airlines that serve the route including Vietnam Airlines, Asiana, Singapore Airlines, China Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Korean Air (they will fly your pet in cabin as long as it is small enough) and Japan Airlines. (Cathay Pacific bans snub nosed breeds). However, the airlines may refuse you due to the summer temperatures.
                  Susan
                  All the airlines you suggested we had approached and the booking staff have all said he has to be 5 kgs and he is 6.3kgs in weight and they won't take any snub nosed breeds even in winter. That is why I was asking for any other suggestions on how to get him to Manila. Thanks for your input and suggestions though.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X