Traveling with dogs in a horse stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with dogs in a horse stall?

I am relocating from Amsterdam Netherlands to Chicago USA in April/May (direct flight, no transfers). I have two Galgo Espanol (Spanish greyhound) and one cat. The dogs are big, and will need the largest size SkyKennel available (like for St. Bernards). I have an idea that I would like to ask if anyone ever heard of someone being allowed to do this. I would like to arrange for a horse stall to be placed in the main cabin cargo at the tail section of a 740M combi passenger/cargo plane, such as the combi planes that KLM flies out of Amsterdam. I've seen this set-up before for horses, and their owner gets to be with them during the flight, also for take-off and landing. The pressure and temperature are the same as the main cabin, and there is continual lighting. So, I would like to order the horse stall, but then place my two galgos in their SkyKennels inside the horse stall. I asked about this with a KLM ticket agent, and they didn't say yes, but they didn't say no either. It will be $$$$$. I didn't press the issue with the ticket agent because I wasn't sure if I would be able to come up with the $$$$$. But this option is looking more appealing to me everyday.

Has anyone ever heard of someone doing this? Do you think KLM might agree to do this?

Thanks for any information you can give.

Laura

Re: Traveling with dogs in a horse stall?

I guess I should add, that the reason why I would like to do this is because then I can be with the dogs during the flight. It's so hard to think of them in the bottom cargo hold along with the baggage. I've just recently stated researching flying with big dogs.

Comment

I was not aware of this option but it sounds like it should work if you are willing to pay the cost. You need to call the air cargo department of KLM to get the answers you need. The reservations office would not be able to help you.
      Jerry

Comment

Thanks so much Jerry! The agent said that dog kennels can't be placed in that tail cargo of the combi jet because there isn't a way to secure them. That's when I thought that maybe they could just be placed inside the horse stall, which can be secured. I guess the remaining possible block would be because the kennels can't be completely secured inside the stall, but if I am willing to sign off on possible injury to the dogs because of sudden severe shifting due to turbulence, maybe they would be willing to accomodate. I guess that kind of severe sudden turbulence is pretty rare. Thanks again for the tip to deal with the KLM air cargo department.

Comment

Here is a You Tube video of horses flying in the tail cargo section of the combi passenger/cargo plane from Amsterdam to New York. The owner is with the two horses, along with a groom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOVhFIxagA

Comment

Yeah,I am going to find this.I am just curious about transportation cost for horses.As Pet travel Express provides affordable deal on pet travel.
            Last edited by admin; 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM. Reason: linkbacks

Comment

Originally posted by grey_dreams View Post
              Here is a You Tube video of horses flying in the tail cargo section of the combi passenger/cargo plane from Amsterdam to New York. The owner is with the two horses, along with a groom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOVhFIxagA
              This horse is really nice
              http://tripnhostel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X