Traveling from South America to Los Angeles CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling from South America to Los Angeles CA

I will soon be traveling from Montevideo Uruguay back to the States with a long layover in Lima, Peru (J Chavez International Airport). My Cairn terrier will be traveling in-cabin and will need a relief break in Lima. Does anyone know if there is an area within this airport for pets to relieve themselves or will they allow me to exit the airport to do this? (A couple of years ago, I was able to take her for a short walk outside of the terminal in San Salvador, El Salvador between flights, but that airport is much smaller and getting through customs was easy.) This will be her only opportunity for a potty break during the entire journey--total travel time is 22 hours. That's a long time to expect her to hold it. I tried calling the airport and they did not understand the question. The airline had no idea. Anyone with specific info about the Lima airport, navigating a similar situation or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Traveling from South America to Los Angeles CA

You will need to go through immigration control in Peru in order to take the pet for a walk. However Peru only requires that the pet be vaccinated for rabies and be accompanied by a certificate of good health. You should have no problem taking the pet for a walk. I do not believe there is a place inside the customs area where you could tke the pet.
    Jerry

Comment

Re: Traveling from South America to Los Angeles CA

Thanks for your response Jerry! I sent an email to the airport and they actually responded today. You are correct, I can take the dog through customs w/health certificate. Since I will be in transit to the US, I will probably have to pay the country fee of US$30.74 to continue my journey. An expensive bathroom break for my pooch, but well worth it! Now I'm trying to find out if they have any grass nearby. From the exterior photos I've seen of the airport, it looks like a sea of concrete.
      Linda

Comment

Working...
      X