Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Air France from JSO via CDG to TNR: 1st flight cargo, 2nd flight excess luggage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Air France from JSO via CDG to TNR: 1st flight cargo, 2nd flight excess luggage?

After having canceled all my reservations last year and postponed my flights
    to have titer tests made on my 2 dogs, I now plan to fly from SJO to TNR Madagascar via CDG Paris with Air France.

To be sure all documents are professionally prepared, a pet travel agent in Costa Rica will prepare all documents until TNR
    and send them in cargo from SJO to CDG, including customs clearance.

To avoid to pay import taxes on their cargo price in Madagascar (50%!),
    I want to fly them as excess luggage on the second leg, from CDG to TNR (the 1st flight arrives in the late afternoon,
    the 2nd starts next day at 11am).

Is this possible (the flight duration is more than 12 hours, and someone told me 8 hours is the maximum)?

How do I proceed to book and pay them instantly when I book my flight? Can I be sure they will be accepted on board then?

The Air France hotline and messenger is a PIA - they never answer.

Re: With Air France from JSO via CDG to TNR: 1st flight cargo, 2nd flight excess lugg

Elfi - you will need to claim your pet from Air France's cargo facility and clear customs. The next day, you will check your pet in at the check-in counter. If you are having a hard time contacting Air France, try their check-in desk at your airport. They should be able to assist you with making reservations for your pet on the second leg of your trip. You can find them at Sabana, Boulevard Rohrmoser 250m l'ouest du stade National/ 250m West from the National Stadium. Susan

Comment

Re: With Air France from JSO via CDG to TNR: 1st flight cargo, 2nd flight excess lugg

Thanks Susan - I do indeed have a hard time using the AF website... Could not even create a Flying Blue account due to technical problems (they are working on it). My strategy is now to create a Flying Blue account, because these seem to be treated with priority and can check their travel status.

At which airport is the address you mention: Paris? San Jose/Costa Rica? I am living in Nicaragua, but will drive to SJO and fly from there, because the AF flight I want to book has only 1 stopover, all others 2 or 3. The German AF hotline told me there is an option to reserve a flight, then 3 days of TIME TO THINK", and in this time contact the airline to confirm that the dogs can be booked as excess baggage. I even want to try to book them excess baggage on both flights - more than 3,000 $ for cargo SJO-CDG is quite heavy.

Comment

Oops, the address is in France. Sorry about that. You are on the right track, for sure.
        Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan! One more question - sorry: If I make a stopover in Paris for 1 or 2 days, do I need more papers for them?
          Like an import permit or so? Thanks in advance!

Comment

You will need an EU health certificate issued by a licensed vet in SA and endorsed by a government vet as well within 10 days of entering France. The health certificate for Madagascar must not expire while in France. You may want to contact the airline that serves the second leg of your trip and ask them whether they will accept documentation from SA although your flight originates in France. Be sure and keep the itinerary together.
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X