Oregon to Germany Scottish Terrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon to Germany Scottish Terrier

We have a 26 pound Scottish Terrier. We are relocating from Oregon to Germany. I have sent out quote requests to several "Pet transport services" what I found online. I have received two replies with an insane high Estimate. First Estimate is $2,500.00 the second one is $3,000.00
    This is more what we paid for our tickets all together.

Who knows a good, not so expensive, Pet international transport service? Our budget is not very much do all the relocation costs.

Thank you for your help

Re: Oregon to Germany Scottish Terrier

Hello Klausi - one thing to understand is that quotes from transporters include air cargo charges. This class of service is more expensive than accompanied checked baggage. As you are traveling with your dog, it can fly as checked baggage at a lower cost to you. The requirements to enter Germany from the US are not difficult. You can find them here and there are links to further instructions and forms if you need them: https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Germany.cfm. The tricky part us USDA endorsement of the EU health certificate. If the USDA office is not close to you, then you must be prepared to use an overnight service and include return postage to meet the 10 day deadline for endorsement. You can make reservations for your Terrier by contacting a commercial airline that flies your entire route. If you must change airlines, then do so in the United States as you will need to claim and recheck your dog (the airlines do not interline pets). Lufthansa offers many routes into Germany so you may want to consider them. Know that Delta and United will require that an agent handle the transport as they do not offer checked baggage service for live animals.
    Susan

Comment

Hello Susan,
      Thank you Susan, for your reply. We considered flying from Portland, OR via Seattle to Frankfurt Germany ( we may use CONDOR Airline ). Condor has a lower Ticket price. If I understand this right, I would need to Transfer my Dogs Crate to the plane to Germany in Seattle.
      I read the Pet transport information at the CONDOR site and Condor noted the Cargo is pressurized like the Passenger cabin. I looked at many YouTube and internet post who mentioned to be careful about false information the Airlines provide just to save a buck or two. I am so worried.
      My Dog is too big ( Scottish Terrier ) to be in the Cabin with us.
      Our budget is not that big to consider a more expensive airline like Lufthansa.
      I am suffering from depression for many years and I was told I should try to sign up my Dog as an "Emotional Support Pet" to have a better chance to get him into the cabin. I am not sure if this is something my doctor can do.

I will never forgive myself if my dog gets sick if he ends up in a not pressurized Airplane cargo.

Comment

Klausi - we understand your concern; however, know that millions of dogs and cats are flown each year without incident. You need to acclimate your Terrier to its crate which will ease its stress. More info on that here: https://www.pettravel.com/blog/index.php/what-you-must-do-before-traveling-with-a-pet/). If you change airline companies in SEA, then you will need to claim and recheck your pet. As for the ESA, many airlines generally accept ESAs on the part of the flight that involves the United States. If your flight lays over anywhere outside of the US before reaching its destination, your dog can not fly as an ESA on the second leg of the trip. You need to be under the care of a doctor who handles medical or mental issues and documentation will be required in advance of travel. Your pet must be socialized and low keyed when around people.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X