Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving - Thailand to Denmark - How to get him into DK within 2 months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving - Thailand to Denmark - How to get him into DK within 2 months?

Hi,

My wife and I are moving from Thailand to Denmark in 2 months for work. We were told that it will be 4 months before our dog can move with us to Denmark. The vet gave him his EU microchip and rabies shot. In 1 month we will go back to get his blood drawn and sent to an EU certified lab. According to the vet and what I've ready you have to wait 90 days after the blood is drawn before he can travel into Denmark. This doesn't make sense to me because the blood test results will be completed in less than 30 days. Is there any way to get an exemption or speed up the process? I'm not asking to take my sick dog into Denmark, just waive some seemingly meaningless waiting time after the test results are already returned.

Thanks!

Re: Moving - Thailand to Denmark - How to get him into DK within 2 months?

dhw682 - the EU makes all dogs, cats and ferrets wait for 90 days before entering any EU country from a high-rabies countrywait for 3 calendar months after the blood for the titer test is drawn. The reason for this is because, if your dog had rabies before getting the vaccine, it will take about that amount of time for symptoms to show. A rabies vaccination will not cure a dog that already has rabies. Is this the case for your dog? Of course not, but this is the reasoning behind the law. The titer test shows the level of antibodies in your pet's blood, but not whether or not they have the rabies virus.

We are not aware that Denmark has quarantine facilities to quarantine your dog for the balance of the 3 months. You may want to contact veterinary inspectors in Copenhagen to see whether they will assign home quarantine or whether your dog would be returned to Thailand if it was presented at customs before meeting regulations. You can reach them at Tel.: +45 7227 6440 or emai at 208@fvst.dk.
    Susan

Comment

Re: Moving - Thailand to Denmark - How to get him into DK within 2 months?

Susan, you are a life saver. Thank you so much for the information. I will make some calls and keep this thread updated!

Comment

Working...
      X