Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United States to Greece with cats-- very nervous about the journey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United States to Greece with cats-- very nervous about the journey.

Hi everyone, I could use some advice about traveling with my two cats. I've gotten a job in Greece, and my husband and I will be moving from Los Angeles to Thessaloniki with our two cats. The shortest flight time we can find is about 15 hours (two flights with a 35 minute layover), which means our cats will realistically be in carriers for about 19 hours. We've moved internationally and cross-country with one of our cats (we found her in South America), but our longest flight has been about 9 hours, although she's an excellent traveller who spent the entire journey asleep in her carrier by my feet. However, we have acquired a second cat who has never traveled by plane, and we are worried regardless since this is a very long journey.

Reading about cats in cargo has produced nothing but nightmare horror stories of healthy cats arriving at destinations deceased, so we feel cabin is the only option, but we also feel awful about how small a carrier is (even though our cats are eleven and thirteen pounds). Is it inhumane to take our cats in the cabin with us for so long? Is there some kind of privately chartered pet courier service that could get our cats to us safely without costing a fortune? Are there any tips I'm not thinking of when it comes to traveling with cats in the cabin? Please advise.

For what it's worth, our most likely airlines will be Turkish, Austrian, or Lufthansa.

Re: United States to Greece with cats-- very nervous about the journey.

Originally posted by HaveCatsWillTravel View Post
    Hi everyone, I could use some advice about traveling with my two cats. I've gotten a job in Greece, and my husband and I will be moving from Los Angeles to Thessaloniki with our two cats. The shortest flight time we can find is about 15 hours (two flights with a 35 minute layover), which means our cats will realistically be in carriers for about 19 hours. We've moved internationally and cross-country with one of our cats (we found her in South America), but our longest flight has been about 9 hours, although she's an excellent traveller who spent the entire journey asleep in her carrier by my feet. However, we have acquired a second cat who has never traveled by plane, and we are worried regardless since this is a very long journey.

Reading about cats in cargo has produced nothing but nightmare horror stories of healthy cats arriving at destinations deceased, so we feel cabin is the only option, but we also feel awful about how small a carrier is (even though our cats are eleven and thirteen pounds). Is it inhumane to take our cats in the cabin with us for so long? Is there some kind of privately chartered pet courier service that could get our cats to us safely without costing a fortune? Are there any tips I'm not thinking of when it comes to traveling with cats in the cabin? Please advise.

For what it's worth, our most likely airlines will be Turkish, Austrian, or Lufthansa.
    You may want to consider flying east to NY spending the night, then flying from there. We don’t normally recommend an overnight on a layover city, but this would give you time to see how your other cat does, then the next day will be familiar to fer. You may also consider an herbal cat calmer just in case. (https://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-callers/). Also, very wise to acclimate it to its carrier beforehand if you have not done so.

TA has sticky allergy rules and Lufthansa may be more consistent with allowing your cats in the cabin if you have the choice.
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X