X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border crossing

Hi everyone!

I need an advice please!

I have USDA T-Carrier certificate and few days ago I was traveling with customers dogs from Moscow to Miami. I was asked to go to baggage checking zone where I showed vaccinations proof, my license and signed transportation agreements for transported dogs with all info: dog's owners addresses, their phone numbers etc. But border control reps said they don't believe me and theн told me that I'm transporting dogs for resale purposes and that I have to get custom clearance (It was Saturday late evening!). Finally I paid $1,600 and something for dog boarding (even for my own dog) and $350 custom fee and was able to get all dogs back next day around 2pm only.
    Can you please help me. Where can I read what are my rights and responsibilities? I couldn't find this info anywhere.
    Once again I have been delivering dogs by order of their owners and NOT for resale purposes.

Thank you

Re: Border crossing

Katrinius - the regulations regarding the commercial import of dogs into the United States can be found herre: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalwelfare/sa_awa/ct_awa_import_live_dogs_regulation. In your case, it appears that a determination was made by custom officials either the dogs had been purchased for more than diminimus value or for being imported for purposes of adoption. There could be several reasons for this. Any dogs under 6 months of age are closely scrutinized by border officials. The fact that you were representing several owners could have caused the determination. Lack of documentation establishing ownership either in or prior to being in Russia may not have been available. You can request further information regarding your case by contacting the USDA. (E-mail: ac.dogimport.mailbox@aphis.usda.gov)

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Katrinius - the regulations regarding the commercial import of dogs into the United States can be found herre: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalwelfare/sa_awa/ct_awa_import_live_dogs_regulation. In your case, it appears that a determination was made by custom officials either the dogs had been purchased for more than diminimus value or for being imported for purposes of adoption. There could be several reasons for this. Any dogs under 6 months of age are closely scrutinized by border officials. The fact that you were representing several owners could have caused the determination. Lack of documentation establishing ownership either in or prior to being in Russia may not have been available. You can request further information regarding your case by contacting the USDA. (E-mail: ac.dogimport.mailbox@aphis.usda.gov)
      Thanks for your answer. I already contacted usda but they sent me link to the USDA requirements for importing live dogs into the US for resale purposes.
      But thanks for your link I checked everything again and found some info about import permit. That's probably what I need.

Comment

Yes, all dogs being imported to the US commercially will need an import permit.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X