Flying from Thailand when it's hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying from Thailand when it's hot

I'm traveling from BKK to Amsterdam and am researching how I will bring my dog. I've worked out all of the paperwork issues, but am growing increasingly concerned about the heat.

In the US, most airlines don't allow pets if the temperature is over 29C/84F, but I can't find any regulations about this at Bangkok airport, where the outside temperature is almost always over 29C. It appears that many airlines that fly smaller planes at BKK do not allow pets, while airlines flying larger planes do.

KLM has a BKK-AMS flight that leaves at midday (they don't have any other times). They have told me several times that there is no problem taking pets on this flight, even though the outside temperature may be as high as 32C. I understand that the cargo area on the 777 is fully climate controlled, but my concern is about the time the dog spends between being checked in at the counter and when the plane takes off.

I have been told by someone who has flown with KLM on this route with a dog before that they are whisked from the air conditioned terminal onto the plane and it's not a problem. I have no idea how to confirm this, though, and I am incredibly nervous. I know that KLM has an excellent reputation when it comes to transporting pets, but it's the Bangkok ground staff that I am concerned about.

Do hot countries have different procedures to deal with the heat?

Re: Flying from Thailand when it's hot

Giblet - you are correct that the risk to your pet is in the holding area in in loading and taxiing procedures. The air flow in the cabin and the cargo hold does not begin until the plane is airborne. Are you sure that there are no airlines that fly from BKK at night? If so, then we would recommend that you speak with KLM again to be sure they have procedures to safeguard your pet. United has a similar program in various airports in the United States. And you are also correct in that KLM does have a good reputation and would not knowingly put your pet at risk.
    Susan

Comment

Thank you. KLM only has one flight per day, and it's at noon.

There is also a Finnair flight that leaves at 9 am, but that involves a transfer (although it's short) and it's still pretty warm that early in the morning.

KLM has been very responsive to my messages, the last one they sent said:

Our well-trained staff members will be the one to take care of all the animals, ensuring optimal safety, comfort and hygiene. The animals will be transported in climate-controlled, pressurised cabins and they're kept comfortable on the ground too. Dogs and cats deserve the same level of comfort and attention as our passengers :-)

I just wish they would give me more details about how they keep them safe on the ground. On one hand, I feel like it must be incredibly dangerous to travel with a dog in those temperatures, but on the other hand, I also can't see how a pet-friendly airline would take the risk if there was indeed a big risk, and also how an airport that is always hot wouldn't have some sort of processes in place to keep pets safe. Otherwise pets traveling through Bangkok would routinely die, and I can't find any evidence of that. Still, I'm very nervous.

Comment

Is your pet flying as checked baggage or cargo? If the latter, then contact their cargo department and ask about where live animals are held until take-off and how they are taken to the plane. If the former, then visit the airport and discuss your concerns with a supervisor. Live animals will be held in the vicinity of baggage until take off. Although, due to security reasons, they will not be able to show you where, they can confirm that animals flying as checked baggage are held in air conditioning until take off.
        Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          Is your pet flying as checked baggage or cargo? If the latter, then contact their cargo department and ask about where live animals are held until take-off and how they are taken to the plane. If the former, then visit the airport and discuss your concerns with a supervisor. Live animals will be held in the vicinity of baggage until take off. Although, due to security reasons, they will not be able to show you where, they can confirm that animals flying as checked baggage are held in air conditioning until take off.
          Susan
          Thank you, Susan. He will be flying as checked baggage. The airport is actually in another country so I probably won't be able to visit it before we leave, unfortunately. I'll see if anyone I know will be flying through there anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by giblet View Post
            I'm traveling from BKK to Amsterdam and am researching how I will bring my dog. I've worked out all of the paperwork issues, but am growing increasingly concerned about the heat.

In the US, most airlines don't allow pets if the temperature is over 29C/84F, but I can't find any regulations about this at Bangkok airport, where the outside temperature is almost always over 29C. It appears that many airlines that fly smaller planes at BKK do not allow pets, while airlines flying larger planes do.

KLM has a BKK-AMS flight that leaves at midday (they don't have any other times). They have told me several times that there is no problem taking pets on this flight, even though the outside temperature may be as high as 32C. I understand that the cargo area on the 777 is fully climate controlled, but my concern is about the time the dog spends between being checked in at the counter and when the plane takes off.

I have been told by someone who has flown with KLM on this route with a dog before that they are whisked from the air conditioned terminal onto the plane and it's not a problem. I have no idea how to confirm this, though, and I am incredibly nervous. I know that KLM has an excellent reputation when it comes to transporting pets, but it's the Bangkok ground staff that I am concerned about.

Do hot countries have different procedures to deal with the heat?
            hi, first of all I really appreciate your feeling about your pet. As far as the facilities provided by the Airlines to your pet are concerned I think they are very professional in this respect and you don't need to worry about this. I would also like to mention that Bangkok is a very nice country and people here are very friendly in nature. So here you will be provided everything that your pet needs to travel in comfort.

Comment

Working...
            X