Traveling with emotional support animals from San Francisco to Johannesburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with emotional support animals from San Francisco to Johannesburg

HI I am a South African citizen living in San Francisco. My husband and I are planning to visit South Africa in December. I have 2 Pomeranians which are registered as my emotional support animals, they are originally from South Africa. Do you foresee any issues we might have with paperwork and them being ESA's traveling with us in cabin? Also being originally South African dogs will the normal paperwork be required if any? I also wanted to find out if its is best to travel with a US airline from the USA directly to South Africa or through a US airline's partner airlines through Europe. I.e Delta direct from Atlanta to Johannesburg or Delta through Amsterdam or Paris. The other alternative was a non-US airline through UK. i.e Virgin Atlantic. ESA's travel free of charge on US Airlines or flights originating from USA. Also would I be able to travel with both my ESA's alone or would I need my husband to accompany me, just concerned about the one pet per a passenger policy some US partner airlines have. Is there any reason for me to be worried about traveling in transit through another country? Thanks

Re: Traveling with emotional support animals from San Francisco to Johannesburg

Damain - it is always better to fly direct when traveling with pets. Just know that, Not sure if you can find an airline that will fly your ESAs in the cabin as most won't do that when flying to South Africa. Certainly, a US-based airline would be more inclined to honor US legislation regarding transporting ESAs. As your Poms have left the South Africa, they will need to conform to the import requirements just like other dogs entering the country. You can find them here with links to further instructions and forms if you need them: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/SouthAfrica.cfm. The blood tests are important and we recommend that they be processed in a SA lab.
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X