No announcement yet.

Traveling TO GERMANY From US + Russia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling TO GERMANY From US + Russia!

So, I'm from the US originally (and so is my cat) but we're currently in Russia. We got into Russia with no problems.
    These are the standards set forth by Zoll.de, the customs officials in Germany:
    "So that no difficulties arise on entry, every pet animal brought into the European Union from a non-EU country must:

be marked with a tattoo or a microchip. Pet animals newly marked since 3 July 2011 are required to have a microchip,
    have been properly vaccinated against rabies, and
    be accompanied with an official veterinary certificate ("Tier aus Nicht-EU-Staat") stating the microchip number or the tattoo, and also with vaccination documents and, if appropriate, the results of the blood test."

From EC Europa: "For movement between EU countries or from non-EU countries vaccination against rabies documented in the pet passport or the animal health certificate is the sole requirement for dogs, cats and ferrets to travel across EU borders, with certain exceptions." does not link to certain exceptions.

My cat got a 3 year rabies vaccine in January 2016. She got her microchip in September of 2016. According to pet travel, she needs to have her vaccines after her microchip. According to customs, it's very vague. I don't know who to believe or what to do. I emailed the customs officials and they said they can't guarantee anything, but as long as she meets the standards, then she meets the standards. According to these vague standards, she does.

Now, Russia doesn't recognize the 3 year rabies vaccine; however, it counts as one year. So when I return later this year, I will have to re-vaccinate her. Do I have to re-vaccinate her to go to Germany? Where, apparently, according to this website, Germany does recognize 3 year vaccines. Neither Russia nor the US is a high-rabies country. I will be bringing her for a check-up within one week before leaving. However, I leave in less than 3 weeks, and if she needs a new vaccination, I have to postpone my trip and find someplace to live for a week or two.

Does anyone have experience with any of this? Ie, a 3 year vaccine entrance in Germany, received after a microchip? She's gotten vaccines before, however they are not listed on my sheet.
    Thanks for your help, anyone!

Re: Traveling TO GERMANY From US + Russia!

Hello - no vaccines that are given to your cat before the microchip is implanted count. You MUST have your cat revaccinated for rabies AFTER the chip is implanted to enter Germany. The vaccination must be no sooner than 21 days before traveling. (do not count the day of the vaccination as one of the 21 days)
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X