Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to fly US > NZ in cabin with Emotional Support Animal (dog)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to fly US > NZ in cabin with Emotional Support Animal (dog)

I am planning to fly with my ESA dog this summer to New Zealand. Air New Zealand will accommodate my ESA, but I don't believe my dog's status is recognized by NZ's MPI.

MPI's response: "Unless you can provide us with official documentation from a recognised and accredited assistance organisation that states that the assistance dog has been in the service of its assisted handler at and/or under the supervision of the organisation for at least the six months prior to the date of importation, then we cannot accept your dog as an assistance dog."

Does anyone know of an internationally recognized and accredited assistance organization that could provide official documentation to vouch for my ESA? Other than my psychologist's medical letter and the organization that registered y dog as an ESA, I don't know what other type of documentation that New Zealand would need to support in-cabin travel.

Any tips or resources are much appreciated!

Re: Trying to fly US > NZ in cabin with Emotional Support Animal (dog)

We are not aware of any known and accredited organization that could attest to the fact that your ESA has assisted you for 6 months. As credentials for ESAs involve individual physicians and do not involve official training by an organization, it would likely not lend itself to an organizational accreditation. This may happen in the future, but we do not believe it has happened to date.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by terrazada View Post
      I am planning to fly with my ESA dog this summer to New Zealand. Air New Zealand will accommodate my ESA, but I don't believe my dog's status is recognized by NZ's MPI.

MPI's response: "Unless you can provide us with official documentation from a recognised and accredited assistance organisation that states that the assistance dog has been in the service of its assisted handler at and/or under the supervision of the organisation for at least the six months prior to the date of importation, then we cannot accept your dog as an assistance dog."

Does anyone know of an internationally recognized and accredited assistance organization that could provide official documentation to vouch for my ESA? Other than my psychologist's medical letter and the organization that registered y dog as an ESA, I don't know what other type of documentation that New Zealand would need to support in-cabin travel.

Any tips or resources are much appreciated!
      I am looking to do the same thing and was wondering if you ever got an answer regarding this? Have you flown to NZ with your ESA?

Comment

Just a comment that the classification of an Emotional Support Animal originated not that long ago from the United States and has not garnered legislation to expand its influence worldwide as service animal legislation has. Another issue is that, while service animals go through specific training by licensed organizations that measure their capabilities to perform specific functions for physically handicapped persons, ESAs serve a different purpose and, to date, no nationally recognized organization has been able to further the goals of this type of support and represent those who need it. In time, maybe...
        Susan

Comment

Does anyone have any updates or personal experiences that clarify whether or not an ESA that is allowed to fly in-cabin (e.g. on ANZ flights to/from USA) will be allowed to enter NZ upon arrival?

For example, this is what I was able to find on ANZ's website:

[b]Additionally Air New Zealand complies with all legislation as required by local laws. For example, for flights to and from the USA Air New Zealand complies with the service dog requirements for foreign airlines under the US DoT regulations, including carriage of emotional support / psychiatric service dogs in accordance with those regulations on flights to and from the USA.

As well as meeting the requirements of the US DoT for travel in the aircraft cabin, all dogs travelling to New Zealand must have an import permit issued by the New Zealand Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) that indicates that the dog is an assistance dog. This requires the owner to present documentation when they apply to MPI for an import permit to show the dog has been trained and certified as an assistance dog by a recognised and accredited national or international organisation. If a standard import permit is issued without an assistance dog endorsement the dog must travel as cargo and arrangements must be made via an approved pet transporter where any applicable costs will apply.[/b]

The phrase "emotional support / psychiatric service dogs " is confusing to me because an ESA is not a service dog. In any event, it sounds like ANZ is basically saying the following:

- if you are flying on an ANZ flight from the USA, ESAs allowed in-cabin
          - if you are flying on an ANZ flight to the USA, ESAs allowed in-cabin
          - Exception: If you are flying on an ANZ flight from USA to NZ, only service dogs allowed in-cabin since they must also have service dog designation on the MPI import permit

I'm assuming that, if the above is true, even if the airline allows your ESA to fly in-cabin to comply with US regs, if the destination is NZ only service animals are allowed in-cabin.

Comment

La_Skydiver - the key is this phrase: "
            the dog has been trained and certified as an assistance dog by a recognised and accredited national or international organization
            " We do not know of an organization that trains and certifies emotional support animals.
            Susan

Comment

Were you able to bring your ESA into NZ with you without quarantine? Please share how if so. I would like to move to NZ in 2020 but I cannot fathom quarantining my ESA.

Comment

Working...
              X