Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing dog from Denmark to USA for holidays--health certificate??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing dog from Denmark to USA for holidays--health certificate??

Hello, we are Americans currently living in Denmark and will be traveling back to DC and Michigan over the holidays. We are planning to bring our shih-tzu with us. He has an EU pet passport and is up to date on his shots, and also had a clinical examination by the vet today that has been recorded in the pet passport (which says he is in good health and able to withstand carriage to destination). I'm trying to figure out if this is sufficient documentation for him to enter the US or if he needs an additional health certificate? I've contacted the CDC and USDA and neither can give me a clear answer.

Also, as far as I have been able to tell, the EU pet passport is all the documentation he needs to enter Denmark again--is that correct? (We will be in the US for 2 weeks).

Thanks for any info/help!

Re: Bringing dog from Denmark to USA for holidays--health certificate??

Hello cphrunner - the US does accept the EU Pet Passport or a rabies certificate issued by you vet as proof of current rabies vaccination. (if the vaccination is the first vaccination your Shih Tzu has had or the previous vaccination had expired, you must wait for 30 days to enter after the vaccination is administered.) You may want to confirm with your airlines that they do not require a separate health certificate as each airline is different. The US does not require a separate health certificate to clear customs.
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X