Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with Guinea pigs

Hi all!

I'm relocating from Cambodia to Portugal and later to Mozambique and trying to understand if it's possible to fly with our two Guinea pigs. So far all information gathered is random and confusing.

Our questions are:
    1. Is it possible to fly to Portugal or Mozambique, departing from Cambodia (or Bangkok if it makes it easier)?
    2. Which carrier would be better and what would be necessary requirements?
    3. Is it ok to do long haul flights with Guinea pigs or it will be to stressful?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
    Ana

Re: Traveling with Guinea pigs

Ana - the regulations for entering the EU with a guinea pig only apply to those entering from other EU Member States or rabies-controlled countries, which Cambodia is not one. Mozambique may be possible, but we do not have regulations for guinea pigs. You will need an import permit from the Minister of Agriculture and Food Security if it is permitted. Try reaching them here: +27 12 401 0300.
    Phil

Comment

Re: Traveling with Guinea pigs

Originally posted by Ana View Post
      Hi all!

I'm relocating from Cambodia to Portugal and later to Mozambique and trying to understand if it's possible to fly with our two Guinea pigs. So far all information gathered is random and confusing.

Our questions are:
      1. Is it possible to fly to Portugal or Mozambique, departing from Cambodia (or Bangkok if it makes it easier)?
      2. Which carrier would be better and what would be necessary requirements?
      3. Is it ok to do long haul flights with Guinea pigs or it will be to stressful?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
      Ana
      Most airlines will take pets, I know with our current dog since he was under 5kg he was able to fly with us in the cabin for free, we had him under our seat. Our other dogs with my mom had to be in cargo. It's a stressful thing for cats and dogs. I'm not sure about guinea pigs. I've had them before but never traveled with them. I don't think they would really know what's going on anyway

You'd really have to do the research yourself about which flights will take animals and special requirements regarding guinea pigs though. You would probably need to get in contact with the Bureau of Animal Industry - Department of Agriculture for your country. You would definitely need an import permit and possibly a health certificate stating your animals are free from certain diseases that the countries you are traveling to might ask you to have checked

Comment

Working...
      X