Returning to the US from South Africa with pet dog - Shih Tzu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to the US from South Africa with pet dog - Shih Tzu

We are leaving for South Africa, Port Elizabeth, from Kentucky on 31 May 2016, and returning around November 2016.

We have the import permit and processing the blood work and Vet Cert for our Shih Tzu who will travel as manifest cargo to South Africa.

Does anyone know what airlines will allow us to take her back to the US as checked-in cargo on the same flight as us, and if this is a possibility, how to get her from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg.
    Attached Files

Re: Returning to the US from South Africa with pet dog - Shih Tzu

What city in the US are you returning to?
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      What city in the US are you returning to?
      Susan
      Louisville KY.

Comment

Louisville KY, most likely via Atlanta on Delta Air.

Comment

Before you book, check temperatures. Your pup is a snub-nosed breed and risk increases with temperature. Also verify that they don't fly a B676 on the route as that aircraft cannot handle live animals in the cargo hold. You will need to fly into Johanesburg, Cape Town or Durbin. South African Airways, Kulula, Mango and Safair flies between Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth, but we are not familiar with their policy on carrying snub-nosed pets.
          Susan

Comment

Thanks for that - more for me to investigate.

Comment

I am happy whenever I verify if a resort or hotel accepts pets. I was once stranded outside just because the property I booked did not allow pets. To prevent such I always read through [afroresorts.africa] whenever I am travelling around Africa.

Comment

A good source for pet-friendly hotels and restaurants worldwide is www.bringfido.com.

Comment

Working...
                X