Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an EU Pet Passport after importing your pet from 3rd country

Hi there,

I just flew my dog from Thailand to Belgrade (Serbia) a couple of days ago and then drove him across the border to Montenegro, where I am currently staying. In Belgrade airport nobody checked my dog's paperwork and at the Serbia-Montenegro border they just quickly glanced over his Thai export papers and let us through. Even though neither country is in the EU, both say they accept/prefer EU pet passports. I am a UK passport holder.

I planned to drive over to Croatia today to convert his Thai vaccination booklet and export papers into an EU pet passport, as I figured this would make travel with my dog easier in the future. However when I phoned the vet in Croatia they insisted that they were not able to make him an EU pet passport as he is not a Croatian dog and I am not a Croatian citizen. Is this correct? As I understood, any vet in the EU could create a pet passport provided they had all the vaccination records, rabies titer test, export health certificate (less than 10 days old) etc.

What would be the best solution? I want to be able to travel freely over land with my dog without applying for export papers every time. Even though Eastern Europe has a mixture of EU and non-EU countries, all the countries here seem to recognise and accept EU pet passports. What is the best way for me to get my dog an EU pet passport??

Thanks for any help!

Re: Getting an EU Pet Passport after importing your pet from 3rd country

You must be a resident of the EU to get an EU Pet Passport for your pet; however, the Annex IV form you would use to enter Croatia is good for 4 months of travel anywhere in the EU. Export certificates are not required. During this time, if you wish to establish residency, your pet can get a passport.
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X