Travelling to the Republic of Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling to the Republic of Ireland

My husband and I want to travel with two cats in the cabin from Malta (EU) to Dublin, Republic of Ireland.

We contacted the Irish Department of Agriculture, Food and The Marine (http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/) who confirmed that there are no restrictions for cats travelling to Ireland from another EU Member State. Carrying cats in the cabin or as cargo is at the airlines' discretion. The same is also stated in the Citizens Information website (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/bringing_pets_to_ireland.html).

All paperwork such as Pet Passport, Microchip, and Rabies shots will be in place.

We are finding it impossible to find an airline that accept cats to fly in the cabin with us. Could you suggest an airline that allows cats in the cabin whilst flying into Dublin airport please? Thank you.

Re: Travelling to the Republic of Ireland

Rebecca - we cannot suggest any airline that will carry a live animal into the UK in the cabin because we do not know of one. This is not due to country requirements. It is due to airline pet policies. The reason why is due to handling procedures on the ground after you land. Your pet will be taken from the plane to the Animal Reception Center where you will pick it up. The airlines does not want to take your pet from you in the cabin. They also want to be informed of all animals arriving; they get this information from the cargo manifest.
    Susan

Comment

Hi Susan Thank you for your reply but we want to travel from Malta (EU member state) into the Republic of Ireland not the UK. Thank you

Comment

Rebecca - if you find an airline, we would love to know who it is. We do not know of one that will. Ireland has adopted the UK regulations with regard to importing pets. The procedure on the ground does not lend itself to pets traveling in the cabin.
        Phil

Comment

Ok I understand. Thank you

Comment

Hello Im new to this and Im not sure that I am posting in the right area but Im currently in Australia and am looking into going home back to Rep of Ireland. I am wondering what are the costs involved? Thanks

Comment

You will need to contact the cargo department of an airline that is approved to fly into Dublin for the costs. Know that air cargo is more expensive than checked baggage and the cost of an agent to collect your pet from the plane and take them to the Animal Reception Center will likely be built into the cost.
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X